Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I just want to know

Status
Not open for further replies.

juan123

Can someone tell me what a crossover is on audio systems? I'd like an explanation in simple language. I am practically a newbie. Thanks!

A crossover is a filter, usually located inside a loudspeaker, used to limit the range of frequencies applied to one or all of the drivers dependent on which frequencies each driver can reproduce.

== A crossover is a filter, usually located inside a loudspeaker, used to limit the range of frequencies applied to one or all of the drivers dependent on which frequencies each driver can reproduce.==

Wow, I don't think that I have ever seen a more technical explanation of anything in my life. To explain this explanation :) Different frequencies produce different types of sounds. Low frequencies make deep sounds, and high frequencies produce high soprano type sounds. Different speakers handle different sounds. A tweeter can't handle deep bass. and a bass speaker can't handle soprano.

A cross over is a filter that takes high frequency and sends it to the tweeter, low frequency and sends it to the bass, and everything else goes to the midrange.

Filters are a very interesting, but rather complex topic. Study it until you understand it. It's quite interesting. I took a class on the subject recently, and was very confused (crappy instructor) and one day when I wasn't even thinking about it, I woke up and the fundamental just came to me. Good luck, and feel free to ask more questions.

Eric B.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back