Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do you people do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good book

Hi,
One of the best books out there is "The Art of Electronics" by Horrowitz and Hill.
ISBN 0-521-37095-7 (Secon Edition)
It covers virtually everything from the basics to advanced design, in a readable manner, minimum math and most importantly no "dumbing down"
It's particuarly good for the "real life" side of electronics and practical tips.
It should be on every hobbist's and profesional's bookshelf.
For magazines Nut's & Volts is a good bet.

Robert G8RPI.

Marks256 said:
I, as you allready know, am a fair newb to electronics. I want to know how you people have learnt all of the things you know. Like, for instance, if i had a circuit that wasn't working, and someone told me to put a capacitor between two pins, then it works perfect; how did you know that? Or if i needed a diode, or a resistor?
Have you ever heard the saying: "born with a silver spoon in his/her mouth"? Our parents ordered us to come that way. Your parents must have been out to lunch when the fertility clinic had them fill out the requisites form prior to the gene splicing/chromosome matching procedure when you were a zygote.

In actuality, some of us are born with a knack for specific talent or ability. I always gravitated naturally towards electronics and it was easy for me during school, while other students who desired to learn about electronics, struggled to understand the theory while trying to make sense of it all. It's no different than someone who has natural mechanical aptitude with tools and such, or the person who simply has the inate ability to build a home professional like.

I would suggest getting ahold of some videotapes/DVDs on the subject as you can learn electronics through a more entertaining medium, over the standard boring textbook readings. BUT, don't dismiss written text either. There's plenty of valuable info to be learned from books.

I don't think we need 'talent' (like a painter) to understand electronics , which is basically a science . what i think is , it needs a lot of interest , ability to do hard work , lots of patience, good logical , judgment and reasoning skill (all left brain functions) .

Hmmm... Having a talent for logical thinking is good, but not essentially necessary. What you need is intelligence, which - in fact - can be learned/trained.

I think, with electronics being a science branch which can be learned fast, you only need to know a couple of useful patterns and myriads of different circuits. Finally the last thing you shall have is a good way ( or a method ) to mix these patterns and circuits in order to create something new.

( btw. sorry for my bad english )

Last edited:
Marks256 said:
I, as you allready know, am a fair newb to electronics. I want to know how you people have learnt all of the things you know. Like, for instance, if i had a circuit that wasn't working, and someone told me to put a capacitor between two pins, then it works perfect; how did you know that? Or if i needed a diode, or a resistor?
Is there specific books i should read? Please keep in mind, my local library sucks(no books on electronics, just girly crap). I could always head to Barnes & Noble, but they are kinda spendy, so i can't waist my money on something that might not help. I really really want to learn this stuff. By stuff, i mean digital electronics. Thank you.

1. Already
2. Learned
3. Waste

I laugh every time I see this topic.
You know, the birds and the bees??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks256
Is there specific books i should read? Please keep in mind, my local library sucks(no books on electronics, just girly crap). I could always head to Barnes & Noble, but they are kinda spendy, so i can't waist my money on something that might not help. I really really want to learn this stuff. By stuff, i mean digital electronics. Thank you.

1. Already
2. Learned
3. Waste

WHAT THE HELL IS YOUR PROBLEM? Huh? You are a serious jerk, you know that right? If you would like to start critiquing people spelling, then become a flipping teacher! If i was really worried about my ability to write, i would BE ON A GOD DAMN WRITER'S WEBSITE! Leave me alone!

If you have some problem with my goal to learn electronics, why don't you come out and say it? I came here for help with ELECTRONICS, NOT MY ENGLISH, ok? Do i have this clear now? No? THIS IS AN ELECTRONICS FORUM!!!! NOT A F&#$ING SPELLING BEE!!!!

@Marks256:
If you are so deeply interested in electronic engineering, why don't you enroll in a university nearby to study it professionally ?

@Marks256:
If you are so deeply interested in electronic engineering, why don't you enroll in a university nearby to study it professionally ?
I am only 15 years old! I am still in highschool.

Where's the problem ?
The closest university is 2+hours away. I don't have a car. And i don't know enough yet.

Marks256 said:
The closest university is 2+hours away. I don't have a car.
Well ... most university lessons/courses start quite late ( in comparison to highschool ) ... take a train, or a plane if there's an airport nearby.

If you were really interested in it, and if studying electronics were your supreme wish, you would find a way to get to university next 1st term.

And i don't know enough yet.
The things you need to know to study electronics is a good understanding of the english language ( which you obviously possess ), basic and advanced knowledge of abstract mathematics ( analysis,calculus,linear algebra,etc. ) to be able to understand the theory lessons and physics, some basic physical knowledge ( you can learn that in 1-2 days ), and strong nerves to withstand the double burden ( because you would have to share your time with both university and high school... which is of course not impossible ) ... all in one - it could get very difficult, but if it's your wish to study, you will manage it perfectly.

Hi, Mark

I have found this web site very informative and easy to understand. As a plus he offers several breadboard projects to learn different applications, walking you through each step, then analyzing the final project.

Give it a whirl: **broken link removed**

Good luck, AllVol

hey, thanks allvol! That site looks awesome. I will give it a look. I just skimmed through it now, and it looks like it may help a little.

Marks256 said:
WHAT THE HELL IS YOUR PROBLEM? Huh? You are a serious jerk, you know that right? If you would like to start critiquing people spelling, then become a flipping teacher! If i was really worried about my ability to write, i would BE ON A GOD DAMN WRITER'S WEBSITE! Leave me alone!

If you have some problem with my goal to learn electronics, why don't you come out and say it? I came here for help with ELECTRONICS, NOT MY ENGLISH, ok? Do i have this clear now? No? THIS IS AN ELECTRONICS FORUM!!!! NOT A F&#$ING SPELLING BEE!!!!
LOL!
I think you express yourself really well, especially for a 15 year old. We get people (adults?) here who couldn't put three words together to express a coherent thought. Hang in there. I wonder what got under Ben's (poopeater's) saddle?

I think you express yourself really well, especially for a 15 year old.
Why ? - Adults who are not native to english and cannot express themselves perfectly are less ridiculous than a 15 years young boy who's learning his mother tongue in school in detail from "hello" to the last grammatical feature and is unable to write words properly.

In my opinion, his reaction was exaggerated and impolite. Plus that a boy with such behavior shall stay in school and not think about studying electronical engineering.

_nox_,
Where are you from? I could just about guess, but now I realize English is not your first language. I do not think either second language learners, or 15 year olds who make a couple of spelling mistakes are ridiculous.
You should be a bit more secure in your English, it is not that bad.
Further, I am questioning the validity of your universities. In North America, there are some high standards. Perhaps where you are, anyone can get in?

Where are you from? I could just about guess, but now I realize English is not your first language.
it's not ... indeed :) Where're my mistakes ?

I do not think either second language learners, or 15 year olds who make a couple of spelling mistakes are ridiculous.
I've never said that... but in comparison: An adult who's not native to english is less ridiculous than a boy learning english in school every day as a native speaker and being unable to write words correctly...
Plus that I have never stated that it would be a terrible bad thing if someone made spelling errors. I just dislike his aggressive reaction.
Further, I am questioning the validity of your universities. In North America, there are some high standards. Perhaps where you are, anyone can get in?
Of course not. You need a high school degree to be able to enroll in a university. But in a case of high IQ or great interest it is possible to start the study earlier and become a full-member after ones high school degree... It's only a way to save time...

_nox_ said:
Why ? - Adults who are not native to english and cannot express themselves perfectly are less ridiculous than a 15 years young boy who's learning his mother tongue in school in detail from "hello" to the last grammatical feature and is unable to write words properly.

In my opinion, his reaction was exaggerated and impolite. Plus that a boy with such behavior shall stay in school and not think about studying electronical engineering.

It has to do with a policy of people on this forum assuming people who don't write well to be native-English speaking children l33t speakers unless they fill out their country of origin. It has to do with some people coming on the forum asking for geography-depedent help and putting some nonsense into their location field. I do it too, but only when it's really bad or obviously "chatroom notation".

I think learnt and spelt are only accepted in North American because it's been slang for so long and no one bothered to correct them. Similar to color. I think in Britain it's always learned, spelled, and colour (and I agree!). I mean, when you are speaking do you say learnt and spelt? I say learned and spelled (even when saying it fast, it sounds like learnt/spelt, but if you purposely say learnt/spelt it sounds different). It's kind of like why SOOO many people spell "rediculous" instead of ridiculous. It's due to poor pronounciation affecting spelling (and at times, poor spelling affecting pronounciation ).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back