Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do you people do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a bit off-topic ... but:
I came across a couple of threads where a lot of people were telling that they hate C/C++, or do not understand it ? Why so ? C++'s syntax and code structure is the most logical and flexible I've ever seen... Maybe it's not suited for hardware programming, but I cannot imagine any contemporary computer program which can't be written with C++ very quickly.

I think the reason some people have a hard time with C is because they learned another language first because they thought it might be easier to start with something like BASIC. It's similar to the difference between english and math. C++ is math- the syntax is logical, consistent, and clean. BASIC and a few other languages may be more like English, you can read the code more like a sentence, but as a result the syntax is inconsistent and messy. But yeah, I totally agree with you.

The stuff you read might be referring specifically to the object-oriented part of C++, which can be a little convoluted until you get it all orderly inside your head.

Last edited:
Yes, that is exactally why i don't like c/c++. I learned programming in QBASIC (a dos version of BASIC). The code is too complex when jumping from BASIC to C/C++. I almost drove myself insane trying to figure out how to put text on the screen! In BASIC, it was just as simple as typing; PRINT "This is a test." See? Simple! that is why it is beginners all-purpose symbolic instructionn code, or BASIC!

Edit: atempted to fix some spelling(it obveously failed.... :) )

I agree, the jump from BASIC to C can be a hard one. C is not the best language to learn in, though. It is not strongly typed, and beginners can get themselves in trouble with its power. A good language to learn in is Modula2, or PASCAL. These (they are very similar) are much closer to C. The difference is that you have to declare the variables with their types in Modula, and the language makes a clean separation between procedures and functions. (A procedure does something, and a function returns something.) I'm not sure what universities are using these days, but in my time it was Modula2, and I'm thankful for that.
However, you are not a rich person, you are a highschool student, and probably can't afford to buy several different compilers. I think there is a free version of Delphi, and I have seen some free pascal/modula compilers, but can't think of where this was.
I don't know why, but I have never liked using BASIC, and I have never liked using C++ but I love C. Perhaps it is what one gets use to?

How did the topic suddenly chage? I wasn't asking for a compiler, or a new programming language. I've got plenty of programming laguages at my disposal. Infact, i have Borland C++ Builder 4 Standard, and Professinal sitting on the the shelf behind me. I have Visual Basic 2005 express intalled on my main system, and my laptop. I have QBasic installed on three of my laptops, and on my HD on my main system. I also have VB6 on one of my other laptops.

I did try to learn C++ a few years ago, but i think i lacked the mental capacity to grasp the code. I might give it another go before college. Huh, who knows?

Marks256 said:
How would i do that? Regulators? Does "Variable" mean that it can be any voltage you specify? Sounds complicated! I will give it a go, though.
well. if the "variable" seems to be complicated to you , then i would recommend a PS with +5 , +-9 , +-12 or +-15 V . With these voltage levels you can handle most of the tasks. And before building the actual powersupply i would recommend you to make the most basic "series pass transistor power supply with zener stabilization" . Simulate it using the LTSpice ,tweak the components to see the input-component-output-relationships to get a practical understanding ,read some theory , and build it in the breadboard. if successfull ,make that permanent . Not worked ? "think twice"... recheck the ckt.. ..Still problem..? Post it here .. we are here :)

Hah, Marks, I think you have very good mental capacity!
C is useful for micro controllers, C++ is not really. (yet)

Hah, Marks, I think you have very good mental capacity!
Why thank you!

i would recommend a PS with +5 , +-9 , +-12 or +-15 V
This doesn't sound too hard. I have about 5 2pole-6position switches, i could make one, just as soon as i can find a 9volt regulator.

I just bought a breadboard(from ebay, of course!). Tell me what you think? Good deal?
**broken link removed**

Looks pretty good.

If you plan to work with microcontrollers (uC), I suggest you try and learn C or C++. It might help if you only focused on embedded application stuff (like doing specific tasks which is what uC are for anyways) instead of user-interface oriented stuff (like software on a PC) which will make things easier (no need to print things to screen so much like on the computer). It's very powerful and once you have a taste, you probably won't go back.

I accidentally took a Pascal course when I already knew C++ and man was that the most boring, most limiting, easiest course ever...gotta admit though it was much easier making things appear on the screen, but I'm interested in doing physical tasks than so that doesn't help too much.

Ok? The thing is, i'm not sure what programmer to get. I really like assemlby, but if C is better, then i might look into it. I will be trying to to uC based applications.

I accidentally took a Pascal course when I already knew C++ and man was that the most boring, most limiting, easiest course ever...gotta admit though it was much easier making things appear on the screen,
Kind of like trying to lift 100 kG, when you have been practicing with 150!

Ok? The thing is, i'm not sure what programmer to get. I really like assemlby, but if C is better, then i might look into it. I will be trying to to uC based applications.
Assembly will give you a better idea about the hardware, if you stay with it for long enough to get to know your chip. Why don't you stay with that for a while, do a few projects to get comfortable, then you will be able to asses the worth of any C compiler for your chip.
When you say 'programmer,' it usually refers to the tool you use to load your source file into the microcontroller. I'm not sure if you have made a decision on which microcontrollers you will use, but for the PIC nothing beats the ICD2, either from microchip, or one of the many clones available.

When you say 'programmer,' it usually refers to the tool you use to load your source file into the microcontroller.
That is infact what i was refering to. I'm not sure what i should use. I want to use MPLab. What programmer would work with that?

I was actually thinking of making one. Does anyone know of any good schematics that will work with MPLab? I have found a few, but they don't look too great.

Your library may not have Electronics books but you obviously have an internet connection so why not subscribe to an Electronics magazine? Alternatively just browse the websites and purchase downloadable back issues which interest you. I can recommend the following:

EPE (Everyday Practical Electronics). I think this magazine would suit you more as it takes a more practical approach to Electronics and is better suited to beginners.

Elektor Electronics. A more advanced but more interesting Electronics Magazine.

Both of these magazines provide online downloadable back issues, for a charge of course.

Brian

I don't have a credit/debit card, or a checking account. My parrents are too paranoid about using the credit card online. So, i can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back