Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help needed to silence the beast

Status
Not open for further replies.
I built my high frequency oscillator today in 1 hr, 30 mins and it is of very high quality. It is quite loud with a fresh 9v battery, wich had voltage of 10v. I used micropots and they work quite well. also used a 8ohm speaker that works well. Killz my ears and my dogs. FUN!

Well their is always more than one way to skin a cat. If you have done everything inside the law you could, then I agree you must go outside it if they turn a blind eye. My only suggestion is a ion ray/charge gun. Google it, their like 75-100$ Not sure of the range but they have some interesting effects when pointed at electronics. Bare in mind it only works if you can see their stereo or speakers.
I do suggest calling the police one last time next time they do it and be sure to get their names and badge numbers then take it up with their supervisor if they do nothing. In alot of law enforcement agencies you have to go above the heads of the people you're dealing with to get something done about petty things such as a noise complaint.

Just a thought, and probably cost a couple grand, might not have much range. A CO2 laser is used for cutting and etching, it's infrared so no one will see it. Most likely it won't melt or burn the Boom-box, but might be enough to alter the CDs...

rocket launcher? that would do the trick.

Heres a picture of my high frequency oscillator

9V battery
8:eek:hm: Speaker

Last edited by a moderator:
Souper man said:
Heres a picture of my high frequency oscillator

9V battery
8:eek:hm: Speaker

Oh yeah that'll certainly do the job nicely! What's the electrical tape on the pcb edges for? Acoustic insulation?
Oh brother!:rolleyes:

If you're gonna hit them with aural pain you better have one of these puppies:

Attachments

• horns.jpg
    horns.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 152
If the 8 ohms speaker is 15 ohms at 3kHz and the 9V battery is brand new, then the AC p-p voltage across the speaker is about 5V and its peak current is about 167mA. The 555 is safe if there is an output coupling capacitor.

The square-wave power into the speaker is 1.7W but half is harmonics so the power at 3kHz is only 833mW like a clock radio.

acutally, i just hooked it up to a lm386 and boosted the whole circuit to 15V with my power supply. you can now hear it from outside when its turned up.
IN YO FACE!

The only thing you could do is to employ the same technology that BOSE uses in their noise reducing headphones. Get an amp and speakers as big as your enemies next door and research the circuits that BOSE uses. BOSE uses a circuit that analyses the sound with a mic and generates an inverted wave that cancels out the sound. This is an extreme measure, but it may be your only option. Sorry I can't suggest something easier. Good luck!
euge999

euge999 said:
The only thing you could do is to employ the same technology that BOSE uses in their noise reducing headphones. Get an amp and speakers as big as your enemies next door and research the circuits that BOSE uses. BOSE uses a circuit that analyses the sound with a mic and generates an inverted wave that cancels out the sound. This is an extreme measure, but it may be your only option. Sorry I can't suggest something easier. Good luck!
euge999

ok now that would be amazing!

Wouldn't work though, in order to get acoustical cancellation the waves have to be perfectly out of phase. Air is a non linear transmitter and even an errant breeze can cause a phase shift in mid air which can't be matched in the opposite direction, especially with the delay inherent in receiving a sound over any distance. They have a hard enough time doing it in headphones.

You might be able to cancel bass frequencies if the noise is very close. Higher frequencies have many phase changes due to the distance so they might even add instead of cancel.

Hey I'm an audio amplifier designer since 2000.
If you need to silence low freqwency accoustic signal, its always a different ways of all higher freqwency.
you can,t used passive ones. But any speaker attached on your walls. No matters about "shake and rattle" ,it will be silence.
Hey! why don't you play your own music, no needs that loud to cancel your neighbors music.
If you don't like music, try with pink noise. Pink sounds good.

Last edited:
3v0 said:
If you must blast you neighbor do it with his own music. Pick up what he is playing with a mic then amp it and send it back. It will be distored and out of phase...
That's the right answer in my op. Just turn the bass up to max on your amp.
and start with a very low volume then gradually increase it, till they turn their amp. down then start turning yours down, till there is peace everywhere. Ha.
Rog.

Only way to get some police action is a flood of calls by you and the neighbors. The police have more important things to do at the doughnut shop...

And yet when it's me playing the music the police is knocking at my door the moment I overstep the volume boundary by a couple of hertz.

Just a thought, would it be possible to use something like a large scale noise cancelling headphone but do it with speakers and a mike?

Fire back the opposite sound? Guess the distance would make that impossible (time delay)

Just like canceling method on some elite cars with some small speakers used to cancel engine sound, and so recording studios or any acoustic labs, where silence room required. Hard technique but available.

The easy one is makes good psychoacoustic with rainy ambient from modified pink noise, or just play music.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back