Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Converting My old Calculator to Notepad

bot1995

So i have this old Calculator BAMBALIO BL-991 MS And wanted it to work us notepad So basically can i make it as a notepad like using specific combination the notepad mode appears and it will also work as normal calculator ,So can i add my custom text into it?!Asking for a friend .

not likely unless you have source code.

It's very unlikely you can do anything with the program in a mass produced calculator - they are usually mask-programmed ICs, so the program is physically "wired in" to the program storage.

Quite a lot of simpler ones are not MCU based, just a dedicated logic IC that performs the input, calculation and display functions.

Can we chnage the whole source code
You do not have it! So no. My assumption here is since you don't have it, you won't ever know how to change it to connect the logical and physical ports. Besides, why would anyone mass-produce something that can be easily reverse-engineered. Your fantasy question assumes it can. and you don't know how it works.

maybe you can figure out how to make my digital watch into a reverse polish calculator.
j/k ;)

Last edited:
So here is the circuit board

Attachments

• IMG_20231125_071719.jpg
    IMG_20231125_071719.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 119
  • IMG_20231125_071727.jpg
    IMG_20231125_071727.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 111
How exactly are these pictures helpful?
They tell us that this device was designed to be just a calculator, and that it will only function as a calculator, and the "brain" of the calculator which is located under the black blob can never be programmed to do anything else except be a calculator.

JimB

They tell us that this device was designed to be just a calculator, and that it will only function as a calculator, and the "brain" of the calculator which is located under the black blob can never be programmed to do anything else except be a calculator.

JimB
I think we knew that from the get-go. At least I thought we did.

I heard you can type into a calculator a secret number and it converts into text when you turn it upside down.

It works on all calculators. The number is 3507.1

Last edited:
I think we knew that from the get-go. At least I thought we did.
PB you are correct, we did all understand that except perhaps the OP.

When you posted:
How exactly are these pictures helpful?
It seemed too good an opportunity to engage in a little "British Humour" in emphasising the futility of the OPs projected endevour.

JimB

PB you are correct, we did all understand that except perhaps the OP.

When you posted:

It seemed too good an opportunity to engage in a little "British Humour" in emphasising the futility of the OPs projected endevour.

JimB
It's all good! Engage away.

You could always peel the COB off the board, fit your own processor, and program it to do what you want :D

But you're better off just building a device from scratch - and the physical hardware from a calculator isn't much use for taking notes anyway.

You could always peel the COB off the board, fit your own processor, and program it to do what you want :D

But you're better off just building a device from scratch - and the physical hardware from a calculator isn't much use for taking notes anyway.
I want my car to fly like an airplane when I turn the key a special way - I want it to still work as a normal car when I need it as a car. It's old - so it's not very good at working as a car in the first place so, I hope your instructions help me build a good plane. I'll take some photos when I get home from vacation.

Attachments

• IMG_0407.jpeg
    IMG_0407.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 99

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back