Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help needed to silence the beast

Status
Not open for further replies.
what i would seriously do in this situation would be to have rockin parties every night with really loud music to annoy them. if they try to phone the police (presumably) they would get no response and you might be able to work out an agreement, i would not be a pushover i tell you that but i would not go destroying their stuff.

quiet roit said:
Jees, sorry to bring up a problem that has been discussed here before. It is not my intention to solicit criticism from long standing, experienced members. I come to this forum seeking a solution to a problem, not to be kicked around by those who are bored with my request.
I do not have legal training but..
  1. The solution you seek is against the law.
  2. Anyone (within the reach of the law) that provides you with a solution may be in trouble with the law.
  3. What you seek (although interesting) is the wrong solution.
  4. You could be the law seeking to entrap.
Hire an attorney to help get this done. It will cost less money then you may have to spend defending yourself after you screw up with your EMP thingy.

If you can or will not hire help:

Research the local laws governing your problem. Could be sound ordinances or maybe even disturbing the peace. Do minors attend said parties?

Then do what you need to do to get the police to enforce the laws. You may need to make reading with a decibel meter with a creditable witness present. Once you have numbers it is not just your opinion.

You case for the neighbor breaking the law has to be black and white.

The law enforcement does not stop with the police. After you get the evidence together send a copy to the local police and the district attorney of the body that writes their paycheck (county, city whatever).

Use the law instead of breaking it.

EDIT:
Not all lawyers are created equal. Seek out a lawyer that works with similar cases and wins. A good lawyer will have several para legals that will do the actual work.

Last edited:
ohoh another idea, write to your local paper saying that the police arent being helpful and are even turning a blind eye to whatever you do back, then inform the police of this and they might be bothered to get off their asses instead of getting bad press.

Here is ONE Possible Solution:

A Large Hyperbola Dish in your yard, with a good speaker in the first focal point of it and Conneted to Your Stereo. Than, the second focal Point set so it focuses at Central point "Inside His house".

(A Parabolic dish has One Focal Point.)
(A Hyperbola dish has Two Focal Points.)

This Should be able to Send YOUR Music Inside His House,
"Quite LOUDLY at the Second Focal Point", Without really affecting the other neighbours too much.

The Problem is to Get that Hyperbola DISH of a Suitable Size and with the Correct Focal Points.
(Suitable Size: I would guess a 3 to 4 foot diameter Dish.)

There ARE Companys that can Make THESE Dishes.

Just my 2 Cents worth.

I have the solution:

build a nuclear bomb rofl
jk dont mess with them

Hero999 said:
Oh no we've been here before.

Nigel, please close this thread before it gets out of hand.

don't worry herro! i've got everything under control!... till now!

As you can see, they'r now talking about nuclear boombs! lol :D

Last edited:
just because we like electronics doesnt mean we cant have fun :p

but if you read this thread there are actually some things you may want to take into consideration. in this case an electronic solution is unlikely unless you go for the Hyperbola Dish which i think sounds quite cool.

lol
aw chill out just a joke.

but rly, just take a joke and deal with it

You could hook up a high frequency oscillator and play it really loud so they cant hear anything, but their ears hurt like crazy.

Ive experimented with high frequency oscilators using a simple 555 timer!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, did'nt me to harsh anyones comedic stylings. I can take a joke, its just that I don't want this getting off track to where someone will 86 this thread. I am new to this scene & don't want to step on anyones toes. I'm just a schmoe looking for some help, or an equalizer if you will. Thanx

NP, but i think you should try a high frequency oscillator, and connect it to a bunch of speakers and play it as loud as it can go. You cant hear it, but the earsplitting pain will let you know lol

quiet roit said:
Sorry, did'nt me to harsh anyones comedic stylings. I can take a joke, its just that I don't want this getting off track to where someone will 86 this thread. I am new to this scene & don't want to step on anyones toes. I'm just a schmoe looking for some help, or an equalizer if you will. Thanx

You're looking for something that doesn't exist - the idea of EMP bombs is fine in theory, if you want to destroy all the electronics in the area - and if you could build such a thing?. Assuming it's possible (apart from a thermo-nuclear device) you would be talking a LOT more money than simply moving house!.

An EMP bomb, or any type of bomb is a bit extreme & is not an option. I do not want to cause large scale damage or harm. However, the high frequency oscillator idea sounds intresting. What is involved in constructing such a device?

Quiet Riot, call a lawer. I think you've only gotten frustrated with a few instances of dealing with the police, file complaints every single time they do it, speak with officers on the scene and be reasonable with them about figuring out what your options are without getting upset, but ALWAYS insist on fileing a report. They are required to do so if there is a complaint AKA 'you ask', if they don't you can ask to speak with a supervisor, who will file the report if the officer won't, if you fail to do so you have no legal grounds to do anything and anything that can be traced back to you could end up makeing you legally liable for the results if the 'offenders' decide to prosecute. Learn your local and the federal law, or you're going to end up doing nothing that will help anyone.

As it has been sugested, the best way to deal with these bastards is to hit them back. If money is not an issue buy several PA speakers with huge SPL and powerfull pro amplifiers and play Krzysztof Penderecki - Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima for example. (talking about nuclear bombs...). If u can last longer than them u will win.
This is not a joke.
P.S. Buy speakers with the best directivity, usually horn loaded ones.

you could combine the speakers like hentai was talking about.

Then all you need is my oscilator.

Parts:
555 timer x1
0.1 :mu: f ceramic capacitor x1
10 :mu: f electrolyic capacitor x1
1k resistor x1
10k potentometer x1
100k potentometer x1

Connect pin 1 of 555 to ground
connect pin 6 to pin 2 of 555
connect pin 4 to pin 8
connect pin 8 to positive voltage supply
connect pin 3 to positive side of 10uf capacitor
connect pin 5 to middle part of 10k potentometer
insert resistor between pin 6 and pin 7
connect ceramic capacitor between pin 1 and pin 2
connect one side of 10k potentometer to voltage
connect other side of 10k potentometer to ground
connnect 10uf capacitor to positive side of speaker
connect other side of speaker to ground
connect middle pin of 100k potentometer to voltage
connect one other side to pin 7 of 555

There you go a painful earsplitting circuit

i dunno how to get schematics on, so good luck

the potentometers should have 3 connections each

the 10k pot. is a voltage divider

the 100k pot. controls the range

A 555 cannot drive a speaker very loud. The 555 will get busted.

An 8 ohm speaker is probably 15 ohms at 3kHz. If the 555 has a 16V supply and drives the 15 ohm speaker through a coupling capacitor, the voltage to the speaker is 12V p-p. The speaker's current is 400mA which is double the max allowed current from a 555. The 555 will burn out.

The 555 will have a voltage loss of 4V and will dissipate 1.6W. Its max allowed dissipation is only 1.2W. It will fry.

The power from the speaker is only 2.4W, half at 3kHz and the other half at harmonics. It won't be loud.

what kind of 555 timer are you talking about audio?
i used a KA555 ( i think now obsoluetle or however you spell it)
hmmm, ive created many oscillators like this, so i dunno how i got it to work for me.

would it be possible to hook up a transistor?

Souper man said:
what kind of 555 timer are you talking about audio?
i used a KA555 ( i think now obsoluetle or however you spell it)
hmmm, ive created many oscillators like this, so i dunno how i got it to work for me.

would it be possible to hook up a transistor?
I looked at the datasheet for the LM555. It can dissipate twice the power of a KA555 and has a higher max supply voltage. Both will fail if they tried to drive an 8 ohm speaker if it is actually 15 ohms from a 16V supply.

A transistor won't make a good power amplifier. Use a power amplifier IC if you want loud sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back