Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Half way done and wish I had made a PCboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking of going back temporally to the 595 board and come back to this in Washington.

It would be much simpler to understand what you're doing if you weren't spreading it over at least 3 forums.

You have everything you need to make these work. Since you've not described exactly what your setup is, described the problem or posted any code, you're pretty much beyond help. I've shown you how to scroll, made a new subroutine to use 4 MAX7219s in series.... I'm not dgoing to write you entire program for you. If you make the effort to understand the building blocks, extending it shouldn't be difficult.

I have tried all the suggestions made.
I will post my actual set up w/ video and code later today. Have some fair grounds maintence to tend to.

Just FYI, MrDEB has spread this topic over at least 3 different forums. This inconsiderate practice results in a duplication of effort of people attempting to help him. MrDEB doesn't place much value on other people's time and effort.

Swordfish Basic Forum

Brads Projects Forum

I place lots of value in other peoples opinion. Just one opinion is kinda being narrow minded IMO.

So lets say you ask in 5 places and 5 people each spend half-an-hour typing the same answer, not knowing you've asked in multiple places. Aren't you wasting many people's time?

Hint: The answer is yes, which is why fewer and fewer people are responding to your posts AND why you were banned from Digital-DIY.

Posting in multiple places also makes it impossible to follow the thread, so that others don't benefit from the answers posted in the future.

And people wonder why DDIY has very little activity except what Jon decides to post.
I see nothing wrong with asking advice from different forums. In fact have found some of the advice from different forums to be hard to decipher at times as well as a simpler way to perform a task.
When I post what I have I am describing my progress. Have on numerous times mentioned Jons help has advanced my projects.
I feel kinda honored that Jon follows my posts on the web.
Posting my progress makes it possible to follow the threads.
I might mention Jon has been a great asset in learning how to program a pic. Burt has helped a-lot as has Pommie.

Let's see. You have over 4000 posts here, and conservatively 2000 at Digital-DIY. Almost every one of those 6000 posts is asking for help. Sure, you have a few comments on other people's stuff, so let's say 5000 posts regarding problems you are having.

And let's say that you get one knowledgable answer per post. Pommie & Burt (but you've burned both of them out), LittleGhostman (who got so fed up with you he's no longer here), many others on your audio projects, me (I'm a slow learner). Again, being extremely conservative, let's say it takes 15 minutes to craft a knowledgable answer – many of my answers have taken many times that amount of time.

5000 posts x 1/4 hour per post = 1250 hours of time the knowledgable community has spent helping you over the years.

Doesn't that seem a little excessive to you? Half a year of people's time?

The knowledgable community's time is a limited resource. If you're asking for help, shouldn't you be efficient in using the resource? Part of that efficiency means not asking the same questions, which generate substantially the same answer, all over the place.

This time, I am truly retiring from being your patsy. I guess you've got somebody new fooled into helping you on the Swordfish forum, unless David carries through on his threat to give you the boot.

The rewards of helping you are virtually nil. I explained just a few months ago how to scroll text on a matrix, but because copying&pasting(TM) is easier than learning something, here we are again. If you ever learned something, maybe it would be worth the effort.

You might want to think about the generosity of people attempting to help you. You're about out of gullible people to con.

Just my opinion...but I'll bet it's shared by many here.

Last edited:
Let's add a little perspective to this thread...

I read MrDEB's vague post and noticed only two chips were mentioned – both open-drain current sinks. Something is wrong somewhere. Since nobody responded, I pointed out that something was probably wrong even though I knew nothing about the intended circuit.

Then came 16 posts arguing that I was wrong and didn't know what I was talking about. In retrospect, I should have kept my mouth shut (and my fingers away from the keyboard).

I resign my position of being MrDEB's design and troubleshooting service. I may watch his antics – it's like a train wreck and hard not to watch – but I'll just laugh and cringe to myself.

You missed the point somewhere that I am switching to the MAX7219 instead of the 74hc595 or the open drain TPIC6B595.
You suggested not to use the TPIC6B595 so that was removed and the 74HC595's are being used.
Then the suggestion to use the MAZ7219 which I am presently trying to achieve a scrolling colum from left to right using two separate LED matrices. After I get the colum to scroll from left to right across the two matrices then going for 4 matrices but not until I get the two to scroll across. Going step by step.
BUT am in the middle of packing to move so everything is basically on hold. Haven't packed the Pickit2 or the two assembled MAX7219 boards as I have a little time between packing to tinker with it.
Guess you missed that post as well??

I just follow Jon advice and ask for any other opinions and I get bashed. Seems like I just can't win.
And on the MaX7219, I followed Jons code as per written and it didn't scroll. I then found out reading the data sheet for the AS1106 that register 0 (no-op) needs to be addressed as well. After I asked for other opinions from other forums Jon then gets ticked off like he is the only source of info. and I need not ask for any opinions from other forums.
Jon can write some good code but he does not know it all. Pommie and Burt have in the past brought up some good code as well so I follow any and all suggestions to the letter and then if it fails to work I start asking for further opinions. This thread is prime example. I started with the 74HC595 then ended up with MAX7219 as per Jons suggestion. Still doesn't run right and Jon never as I recall mentioned the no-op register until I brought it up.
Am in the dissecting mode. Going through the code and seeing what each item or statement actually does then perhaps come up with a solution. Has worked before in streamlining code and or getting code to run right thus getting a better understanding of what is actually going on.
As I mentioned before I need to put this project away until sometime in September as I am in process of moving.

MrDEB, you have an amazing ability...of missing the point.

Keep up the great work. Your learning by copying&pasting(tm) has taken you far

I wish I could add comments to the video in the link above. This will have to do.

0:00 – MrDEB starts out using TPIC6B595 & ULN2803.

0:05 – MrDEB informed the TPIC6B595 will not work as he intends.

0:10 – After thorough investigation, MrDEB decides to proceed anyway.

0:14 – MrDEB starts to waver. Perhaps other people do know what they're talking about.

0:24 – MrDEB makes an abrupt u-turn and decides to use the 74HC595s instead.

0:34 – Another u-turn when the MAX7219 kits come in.

0:39 – Off in the weeds, trying to use 74HC595 code to drive the MAX7219 without making any changes.

0:47 – Makes some progress using a single matrix with my code.

0:50 – Tries to make two matrices work.

0:56 – "I read every post, study every code! I get unfairly criticized for everything!!!"

The rest just kind of speaks for itself.

MrDEB, to solve any electronics/microcontroller problem, there are any number of solutions and usually no best answer. Your problem is not sticking to any one of the possibilities, but dumping one at the first impediment in search of an easy way out. This infuriates people who have literally spent hours trying to explain and help you understand, only to have that effort flushed down the drain when you abandon the approach mid-stream. You have had an inordinate amount of help with your projects – you truly don't seem to understand or appreciate the time dozens of people have spent. But I've said this before and it's fallen on deaf ears (blind eyes?). I shan't expect it will be better received this time.

Good luck to you. I can't do this any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back