Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GTP Programmer LITE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I sell the kits with a preprogrammed 18F2550 it's kind of hard to motivate me to undercut my own business testing lousy old programmers. :) For the price I'm selling them for most would be hard pressed building it from scractch and coming out cheaper than the $49 the kit sells for.

I don't mind helping with queries on the homebrew front, a PICkit2 including the lite and Junebug are IMO an awesome programmer / debugger / tool. Nothing like it for the price from any other microchip maker.

JDM and the many 20yr old PIC programmer designs worked well enough 20yrs ago on ancient 386 computers with DOS or DOS based OSes like Windows 98 and real 8250 based RS232 ports or true printer ports. These are now considered legacy devices and are disappearing fast from modern desktop computers and are all but gone on laptop computers.

I programmed the original Inchworm with an ancient PICStart+, I programmed the first Junebug with an Inchworm+ & Unicorn combo. Now I program the Junebug with another Junebug.

I built the Junebug USB to replace the Inchworm RS232 and will soon discontinue the Inchworm+ as RS232 is fast disappearing and really slow.

Since I sell the kits with a preprogrammed 18F2550 it's kind of hard to motivate me to undercut my own business testing lousy old programmers. :) ........ T...........
I built the Junebug USB to replace the Inchworm RS232 and will soon discontinue the Inchworm+ as RS232 is fast disappearing and really slow.

Very correct. Some how we were habituated to think only the technical aspect. So I get your point.I am sorry for the suggestion.

I wasn't offended by the suggestion, I just wanted to point out why it was not on my personal to do list. ;)

If someone else wants to do it I'm fine with that. Experience seems to say that the JDM type programmers will either run fine or never behave. It all depends on your PC and OS. A modern OS like XP or Vista will fight you tooth and nail, even worse if you're running the 64 bit versions.

Add to that the sheer number of PICs Microchip introduces in a year. Once upon a time people like Nigel would keep the list to his Winpic software updated but after awhile I'm sure it feels more like a chore and less like something you'd want to do for free.

I wasn't offended by the suggestion, I just wanted to point out why it was not on my personal to do list. ;)

If someone else wants to do it I'm fine with that. Experience seems to say that the JDM type programmers will either run fine or never behave. It all depends on your PC and OS. A modern OS like XP or Vista will fight you tooth and nail, even worse if you're running the 64 bit versions.

Add to that the sheer number of PICs Microchip introduces in a year. Once upon a time people like Nigel would keep the list to his Winpic software updated but after awhile I'm sure it feels more like a chore and less like something you'd want to do for free.

Exactly :D and they seem to have added new devices more and more quickly in recent years.

Originally the first version of PicProg only supported the 16C84, it was the ONLY non-OTP PIC there was, and it was a number of years before they introduced a new one.

The original DOS PicProg changed name to WinPicProg when I wrote the worlds first Windows PIC programmer software - back in the Windows 3.0 days.

The Junebug kit can program VPP before VDD. That's what the FETs are for.

thanks !!... but what about the Lite version ( this version doesn't have the 2N7000 and the BS250P).

any suggestions of how replace the BS250P? by another transistor?... or if you can explain how to short the BS250P ( in other post i read that i should put a jumper between D and S of the Bs250P, and keep the 2N7000 the same... but, what about the 1k resistor connected to the G pin of the BS250P??).

thank you some much for all your information... i really appreciate... WE appreciate.

A logic level P-Channel MOSFET can replace the BS250K. The two FETs form an Half Bridge for power control.
You can ignore the 1K Gate resistor if you omit the FETs.

A logic level P-Channel MOSFET can replace the BS250K. The two FETs form an Half Bridge for power control.
You can ignore the 1K Gate resistor if you omit the FETs.

thank for the answer...

both FETs?? or just the BS250P (keeping the 2N7000).

i want to program this PICs:

PIC18F2455/2550/4455/4550
PIC18F452/458
PIC18LF452/458

the Lite version would program this PICs?...

Last edited:
Yes the lite will program any 18F PIC. You could always add the FETs later. Just don't use MCLR as an input pin AND the internal RC oscillator and it'll be fine.

thank you some much for all the information...

i guess that every part in which the FETs appears i should put a jumper... and leave everything on the air...including TGT_P and TGT_N ???

thank you some much

You can use a PNP transistor to switch Vdd. See the upper left corner of this link. There is also a PCB layout available. See **broken link removed**.

Mike.

You can use a PNP transistor to switch Vdd. See the upper left corner of this link. There is also a PCB layout available. See **broken link removed**.

Mike.

thank you for that... one question though...

by "switch Vdd" you mean do that thing to program those PICs with internal oscillator and MCLR as input?...

and also... that programmer have external memories... i suppose that i can omit those if i don't have them...

Last edited:
If you add the external EEPROMs you can store a .hex file on the PK2 and use the button to remote program but otherwise they're not used. And yes internal osc + MCLR input may require VPP before VDD to get into programming mode.

i am making a pickit2 lite programmer using the pickit2 lite schematic from blue room elec ..
pls answer the followin ques ...

1.) Can I use the latest pickit2 firmware PK2V023200 ... will that b compatible with the pk2lite schematic ...

2.) Can I use a 3.3 K resistor instead of 2.7K .. (as i will not be able get it in the next 2 days.. ) or should i wait for the 2.7k...

pickit2 lite

i am making a pickit2 lite programmer using the pickit2 lite schematic from blue room elec ..
pls answer the followin ques ...

1.) Can I use the latest pickit2 firmware PK2V023200 ... will that b compatible with the pk2lite schematic ...

2.) Can I use a 3.3 K resistor instead of 2.7K .. (as i will not be able get it in the next 2 days.. ) or should i wait for the 2.7k...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back