Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GTP Programmer LITE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, MVS Sharma,

I upload the zip file manually.

Please see it for me, friend.

Attachments

• PICKIT2.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 531
Ok, MVS Sharma,

I upload the zip file manually.

Please see it for me, friend.

A. LVp programmer from FOX delta-- you have to sacrifice a port pin (PGM pin)
B. Parallel port programming of 18F2550, doubtful without Vpp
C. Pickit2 , a junebug lite version from www.blueroomelectronics.com.
This would work but a full version of Junebug is preferable as it is a one time affair.

Why all this? why not JUNEBUG by hand wiring? We need just one programmer. It will, i assure, work perfectly, if soldered carefully.
Programming the 8F2550 for the first time. I offered you at cost basis, plus ofcourse transport charges by courier. I have facility for programming them.

Bill has made a judicious design to meet your programming and learning needs also. So it became popular. I saw the hand-wired board from bill as he once published it on another forum. It can be done Theo.

If your need is to practice by making a board, OK then you try to make the complete complement of JUNEBUG (though you may populate only the wanted portion for the time being), as the tutor part will be useful later for learning programming. The assembly instruction manual contains the schematic, and the manual can be downloaded from blueroomelectronics site.

Programmable Vpp is not too much necessary for general purpose, as I think. It's only required when internal MCLR and some other configs turned on.

That is very important for me even to you some day.When you do compact designs you need to work with internal OSC types to minimize external hardware.

I'm not sure that PICKIT2 Lite edition can program the stubborned PICs like 675,629.683 with INTOSC & MCLR OFF.

This is a must for me.I'm mostly making 8 pin compact designs.

To MVS Sharma,:)

Thanks, I gladly(;)) accept your offer of programming the 2550. I will contact with you after making all the things.

To Gayan,:D

Which schematic are you using? I mean, please post the schematic of the PCB (that you posted earlier) here or mauil it to me. Is it Junebug PK2SE (aka the commom schematic which is found in the junebug manual).

To All,:p

Everytime, I always love the way, where is confusion, unknown, darkness of misconceptions etc. So, at first I'll build the Junebug Lite. If it works. I'm done. If it not, I'll again build the full junebug. I know one of them will work successfully.

And About ARTCOM2003,

This is a retail product from foxdelta. So, as a rule of thumb it should work.
But i'll test it today. I'll post my results here tomorrow.

Parallel port programming of 18F2550, doubtful without Vpp

I think, It's possible. If you see the schematic carefully, You'll notice that parrallel port pin 17 directly goes to MCLR and PGM pins. which is normal for LVP programming. So, the pIC wil get Vpp voltage +5V. But I'm not sure before doing ya practically.

What about it Can somebody tell me, If more than 5V (ie 5.2-5.8V) and less that 0 (ie -0.5 to -1.00) is supplied to the programming pins of a PIC (except the MCLR), will it cause damage to it?

How about a JDM2 https://www.instructables.com/id/JDM2-based-PIC-Programmer/ that you may breadboard, then inject code into the 2550, and then create a Junebug PK2SE ?
I know blueroom logged some trials about programming 3.3V parts, I am waiting (passively) for some confirmation.
Elektor Apr-May had the Digibutler, and the 80pic freescale coldfire device needs a tlbdm, and that consists of another Freescale processor, and to flash this device, you need an AVR/ATtiny, which you can flash direct from one of serial or parallel port.

To MVS Sharma,:)

To All,:p

Everytime, I always love the way, where is confusion, unknown, darkness of misconceptions etc. So, at first I'll build the Junebug Lite. If it works. I'm done. If it not, I'll again build the full junebug. I know one of them will work successfully.

Why double work one after another, reinventing the wheel?
Do once and forget it. Be happy with working programmer (JUNEBUG SE) with better facilities and concentrate on using it.

I have built about 15 Junebug PK2SE's. They work. I am not sure when Bill did the Lite version. It may be an earlier design. I would build the PK2SE.

It was the PICKIT2 lite and not Junebug lite as mistakenly mentioned by me.

OK,

As the schematic, PICKIT2 Lite is from a trusted source, Blueroom Electronics, I'd request it's creator Blueroom electronics about his schematic PICKit 2 lite.

Please Blueroomelectronics please, tell me about your PICKit 2 LITE schematic which I attached...Is it correct? Please tell me the differences between PICKit2 LITE and PICKit 2 full/junebug .:)

Attachments

• PICkIT2_SCH.pdf
    44.6 KB · Views: 275
The Junebug is a programmer plus tutor using a 18 pin 18F chip. The PICKit2 Lite is a programmer only without the Vdd switching that allows Vpp before Vdd programming.

I have built three copies of the programmer portion (with Vdd switching) of the Junebug on stripboard. It was not hard, and I had no difficulty getting them to work. Two of the three worked perfectly the first time power was applied. The third required debugging because in my haste I had forgotten to connect the feedback circuits.

Neither the Junebug or PICKit 2 lite is a full PICkit 2 circuit. They do not have adjustable Vdd or the eprom memories.

The PICkit 2 Lite is slightly easier to build because it has two fewer transistors (mosfets) than the other version, but the reason for building it is more related to the difficulty in finding the p-channel mosfet. I found the mosfets along with the inductor and stripboard at Futurlec. My total cost per programmer was less than ten dollars US.

I personally prefer a modular approach like Nigel's rather than combining the programmer with the tutor the way Junebug does it. But each person has their own opinion on these things.

If you can't get the mosfets it is better to build PICKit 2 Lite than to have no programmer at all. Once you have the programmed 18F2550 you can always build another circuit at a later date with the mosfets (and you can also program more 18F2550s). The most difficult part of the project is getting a programmed 18F2550.

Last edited:
The Junebug is a programmer plus tutor using a 18 pin 18F chip. The PICKit2 Lite is a programmer only without the Vdd switching that allows Vpp before Vdd programming.

Can you please explain Vdd switching?

Can you please explain Vdd switching?

Without Vdd switching power is applied to the Vdd pin of the target as soon as the programmer is powered up. Vdd switching allows the programmer control the power to the target chip. This is necessary for chips programmed to use the internal oscillator and the mclr pin programmed as an input. In this situation the PIC begins to run as soon as the programmer is powered up and the programmer cannot put the PIC into programming mode. This is only an issue when one must use all the pins on a chip. It will mostly occur when using 8-pin chips. It should be a relatively rare occurence, and there are often design changes to get around the problem. Sometimes its as simple as using a bigger chip.

As for differences between the PICKit 2 Lite and the Junebug, you have the schematics of both. You should be able to lie them side by side and compare. You should be able to identify the tutor portion of the Junebug and the Vdd switching logic.

Last edited:
I'd ignore the FETs, they are only needed if you use both MCLR as an input pin and the internal OSC (on the target PIC). Just short the BS250 D&S and leave out the 2N7000 it'll work like a charm. Even the inductor is not critical, anything between 480 - 860uH should work fine.
The Junebugs 18F1320 Tutor does not use the FETs and it programs and debugs great.

Last edited:
theo92 just think a bit you better add that (inductor + P MOSFET) parts like in my PCB.Also junebug have the same.

If you just make just only the PICKIT2 lite you cannot never program 8 pin chips with both INTOSC ON + MCLR OFF.

Don't you like to program 8 pin PICS?If you programing 8pin PICs with PICkit2 Lite you have to use crystal or external RC osc every time by wasting very useful general I/O pin :eek:

Can't you still understand why Bill did not make that PICKIT2 Lite my friend?

Last edited:
I decided to build PK2SE or the junebug. It needs just some things to add with PK2 Lite.

Bill, you helped us in a very kinda way.

But this line
Just short the BS250 D&S and leave out the 2N7000 it'll work like a charm
, I understand. You wanna tell not to use the 2N7000. If we don't use it, the pin no. 24 (TGT_N) of 18F2550 no more need to be connected to 2N7000's G pin. Am I right?

If I use only the BS250P,not the 2N7000 can I be able to program the troublesome 8 pin PICs with INTOsc and internal MCLR on ?It's not a problem to add it, but it's a problem to get it.

Can you tell me,

Can I use 2N2222A or BC548 or BC547 in place of 2N3904 ?
Can I use 2N2907A or Bc558 in place of 2N3906?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back