Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Favorite SciFi's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody like any Sci-fi books? or is that against the rules? :confused:

GRUDD! where to start.....

Chris Claremont - First Flight
F.P.Wilson - The Healer
Harry Harrison - The Stainless Steel Rat , Deathworld
Timothay Zahn - C.O.B.R.A. , The Blackcollar
Terry Pratchett - Strata

E.T. The book of the green planet [wish somebody at Pixar would read it]
Tuff Voyaging, The Deep range, Dune...

Of course if you like your books in the graphic variety..
back issues of the cult comic 2000AD have a couple of the Stainless Steel Rat novels
or for the more serious graphic addict 'Watchmen' and 'Give me liberty' are fine examples of the genre.

Another vote for Watchmen!

More SF books I've really liked:

**broken link removed**

Anything by Robert J. Sawyer--I've loved everything of his that I've read, and I think I've read most of it. :)

I have also really enjoyed what I've read from Fred Hoyle, but at the moment the only titles I can remember are Element 79 and The Black Cloud.

I tend toward harder SF but I also really enjoyed Dan Simmons' Hyperion Cantos.

I am ashamed as an SF fan to say that I still haven't read the Dune books. :(

Torben

Dune

Another vote for Watchmen!

More SF books I've really liked:

**broken link removed**

Anything by Robert J. Sawyer--I've loved everything of his that I've read, and I think I've read most of it. :)

I have also really enjoyed what I've read from Fred Hoyle, but at the moment the only titles I can remember are Element 79 and The Black Cloud.

I tend toward harder SF but I also really enjoyed Dan Simmons' Hyperion Cantos.

I am ashamed as an SF fan to say that I still haven't read the Dune books. :(

Torben

Liked it and is going to keep you reading. Hopefully you haven't seen the movie it will definitely spoil it.

kv

Liked it and is going to keep you reading. Hopefully you haven't seen the movie it will definitely spoil it.

kv
Dune,
I saw the movie - or was it a series, was not to sure about the ending though. Otherwise enjoyed it.
I also played the game, both original and 2000. Very enjoyable, still rates Dune2000 as one of the best strategy games.
Could not get on top of emporer, wich is based on Dune.

Seems the Dune name have been around the block some.

Anybody like any Sci-fi books? or is that against the rules? :confused:

My personal favorite is Neuromancer by William Gibson. Im something of a bookworm, anybody have any suggestions?

Welcome aboard Johnny! Isaac Asimov used to write sci-fi. I read allot of him both fiction and non-fiction.

I just watched the first episode of the new series of Flash Gordon.....I only watched it for 10 minutes. Tell me, does it get any better? The acting was horrible, so I found myself channel surfing and promptly changed it to an episode of Mythbusters. *grin* Wish I thought of a show like that :D

Anybody else into the old short stories, anthologies, and other stuff by guys like Poul Anderson, Frederik Pohl, Anthony Boucher, etc?

When my aunt died when I was a child my uncle gave me a bunch of old books which reminded him of her. There were old SF anthologies from the 1930's through the 1970's. I loved those stories (and still do). The amazement at what was possible (or appeared to be possible), the wonder for the future, the language of the times: it was really something special for a 10-year-old who mostly knew Star Wars, Star Trek, and Buck Rogers.

Torben

Is this the Flash Gordon that has zip to do with the original save the names of a few characters. Flash's father is trapped on planet (forget name) and flash travels there by means of some sort of rift generator?

Toben,
Short stories are great.

Has anyone read a book from the 60's called the Green Brain ?

Is this the Flash Gordon that has zip to do with the original save the names of a few characters. Flash's father is trapped on planet (forget name) and flash travels there by means of some sort of rift generator

Yup..well the little I saw seems that it may keep the original plot....but I only watched for 10mins :D

star trek

I am from Buenos Aires Argentina and I´m star trek fan (all movies and tv show specially ST Voyager.

Best Regards

I mostly read science fiction but I've never found anything to beat the old John Wyndham books. On telly my favourite was Blakes 7 but that's not been on for about 20 years or so. They still repeat Red Dwarf which is good for a laugh. I do sometimes watch the new Dr Who stuff but it gets more silly with each one they make.

Star Trek, Under Contruction

Has anyone any new news on the upcomming Star Trek film, Under-Construction? Do we think it's going to be good or bad? I hear it has a brief apperance of Leonard Nimoy... :eek:

Hey, How do I go to page 5 and beyond? I want to look up the name of a movie we figured out here.

Also, does anyone have any good recommendations for a good web sight to get some of these OLD Sci-Fi's? I finally got DSL! Time to use it for real.

One more question. What the hell is a dot Torrent file? I found a sight that said they had a bunch of the old Outer Limits and they listed titles of episodes and recognized some of them so it is definitely the old stuff like:

1. The Sixth Finger.....which is the guy in my avatar

2. The Man that was Never Born

3. The Galaxy Being SE0101.....which the bubble cards called "The Man from Galaxy X"

and more...

If I could get it to work I would be like a kid in a candy store with a pocket full of dimes!!!!

Hey, How do I go to page 5 and beyond? I want to look up the name of a movie we figured out here.

Also, does anyone have any good recommendations for a good web sight to get some of these OLD Sci-Fi's? I finally got DSL! Time to use it for real.

One more question. What the hell is a dot Torrent file? I found a sight that said they had a bunch of the old Outer Limits and they listed titles of episodes and recognized some of them so it is definitely the old stuff like:

1. The Sixth Finger.....which is the guy in my avatar

2. The Man that was Never Born

3. The Galaxy Being SE0101.....which the bubble cards called "The Man from Galaxy X"

and more...

If I could get it to work I would be like a kid in a candy store with a pocket full of dimes!!!!

Try this I'm going to because I don't know either. Third post down has an explanation from wiki too!

Let me google that for you

How the hell you do that? That is funny as crap!!!

Damn! I was laughing so hard I hit the wrong keys....that's great!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back