Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Favorite SciFi's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Favorite Sci-Fi.. crumbs.. where to start , I have a few books & films in my collection.

When Worlds Collide (1951), long overdue for a sequel or even a series perhaps, the possibility of life on the rogue planet was never broached and the closing scene has pink pyramids in the background.

Silent Running 1968 - with the worries about global warming this movie is more relevant than it ever was back then, of course the real stars of the film were the drones Huey, Duey and Louie and that closing scene of the little robot with a watering can has been described as a real geek tearjerker.

DUNE - directors cut 1985, if Star Wars was classic 'Space Opera' then Dune has to be the equivalent of Shakespeare. It was a brave attempt to shoehorn an awful lot of plot and sub-plots into a movie that should of been an hour longer. This was redressed a few years ago by the Sci-Fi channel who did a mini-series that took the script more closely from the book. Rumor has it that they are going to be doing a remake of the original in the next few years. (along with a remake of Death Race 2000 , I do hope the get some of the original cast to do cameo appearances)

Favorite Sci-Fi.. crumbs.. where to start , I have a few books & films in my collection.

When Worlds Collide (1951), long overdue for a sequel or even a series perhaps, the possibility of life on the rogue planet was never broached and the closing scene has pink pyramids in the background.

Silent Running 1968 - with the worries about global warming this movie is more relevant than it ever was back then, of course the real stars of the film were the drones Huey, Duey and Louie and that closing scene of the little robot with a watering can has been described as a real geek tearjerker.

DUNE - directors cut 1985, if Star Wars was classic 'Space Opera' then Dune has to be the equivalent of Shakespeare. It was a brave attempt to shoehorn an awful lot of plot and sub-plots into a movie that should of been an hour longer. This was redressed a few years ago by the Sci-Fi channel who did a mini-series that took the script more closely from the book. Rumor has it that they are going to be doing a remake of the original in the next few years. (along with a remake of Death Race 2000 , I do hope the get some of the original cast to do cameo appearances)

Alright, getting a Youtube in the first one. I think I remember the name. Problem is I can't remember the names of allot of the old great SciFi's.

Does anybody remember the one, it might be called "The Chrone". Anyway it started off where this small ball of light came down out of the sky pretty much unnoticed and it went into this guys head. Then he had these powers to hypnotize people and read minds. So they caught him and put him in an air tight chamber and eventually they turned off the air to it. So he fell over and died and this gook came out of his ear. Then when they opened the door the gook turned back into that ball lightning looking thing and took off back into the sky. Then later a space ship landed in the desert and built a giant robot. Well the army caught onto it and where checking it out then a helicopter landed on the robots shoulder. So they get out and are walking around uses their walkie-talkies to describe it and all the sudden the head starts to rotate. So they jump back in the helicopter and boogie out of there! So this robot really starts moving around and it had three legs like giant pillars that move up & down and he's heading for the nearest city. So they come in with tanks and aircraft and are bombing it and shooting at it with the tanks and it's impervious to everything. So they bring in a B-52 bomber and drop an A-bomb on it. After the mushroom cloud clears this thing is like 3 times the size it was. It absorbed the energy from the A-bomb!

Man that was a wild one! Anybody remember that one?

Not seen that for a long time, liked the bit with the snake ..

speaking of snakes...

"The Abominable Dr Phibes".. long before the likes of 'Saw' and countless others Vincent Price was finding cruel and unusual ways of dispatching his enemies. Thing to watch for is when Phibes inserts a jack plug into his neck so he can be heard on a loudspeaker.

Not seen that for a long time, liked the bit with the snake ..

speaking of snakes...

"The Abominable Dr Phibes".. long before the likes of 'Saw' and countless others Vincent Price was finding cruel and unusual ways of dispatching his enemies. Thing to watch for is when Phibes inserts a jack plug into his neck so he can be heard on a loudspeaker.

Man wasn't Vincent Price cool? Him and Peter Lori, what a pair! "The Tingler"

how about that old Edgar Allen Poe story done on the big screen by Vincent Price...."The Tell Tale Heart". That movie scared the bajeezas out of me :eek:

Logan's Run
Lost in Space
Star Trek
The Black Hole

Movies and TV:

Star Trek (the original series, Next Generation, and the first three movies)
Babylon 5
Battlestar Galactica (the new series)
Firefly (and Serenity)
Blade Runner
Soylent Green
Starship Troopers (I liked the book too, for different reasons)

Books and short stories:

The "Star" anthology series of books edited by Frederik Pohl (Star 1, Star 2, etc).
Riddley Walker - Russell Hoban
Sirens of Titan - Kurt Vonnegut
Goldfish Bowl - Robert Heinlein (actually, anything by Heinlein--this one is a short story I read in an anthology as a kid and didn't remember was written by Heinlein).

I know I'm forgetting some.

Torben

TV Series:
Red Dwarf
Battlestar Galactica (the new series)
Doctor Who (although this last season was a let down)

Movies:
Outbreak [1995] (although not far from being possible)
The Fifth Element

Books:
The Gadget (sorta science fiction)
Dune

TV Series:
Thunderbirds
Space 1999
In fact almost anything by Gerry Anderson, with the the exception of "Space Precinct".

Movies:
If you liked 'Outbreak' then check out 'Virus' (circa 1980) and 'Warning Sign' (1985) the latter being a film that many would say was the inspiration for 'Resident Evil'

Books:
Enders Game - Orson Scott Card - rumours of movie

First Flight - Chris Claremont - this book has everything.. Young rookie astronaut teams up with grizzled space cop veteran, space pirates, aliens and first contact. Topped off with love,hate, tragic loss, sorrow, redemption, good old fashioned blood lust revenge and a big fight or two.

I don't believe it! You'all are talking about TV episodes and no one mentioned "Twilight Zone"? Man, that was one of the best short of original Outer Limits of course.

I don't believe it! You'all are talking about TV episodes and no one mentioned "Twilight Zone"? Man, that was one of the best short of original Outer Limits of course.

OK, "Twilight Zone".:D
You reminded me though. How about Hitchcock Theatre!!!
Star Gate Atlantis
SG-1
Eureka (Didn't think I would like this one at first, but it sucked me in).
Battle Star Galactica (classic with Richard Hatch).
Buck Rogers

OK, "Twilight Zone".:D
You reminded me though. How about Hitchcock Theatre!!!
Star Gate Atlantis
SG-1
Eureka (Didn't think I would like this one at first, but it sucked me in).
Battle Star Galactica (classic with Richard Hatch).
Buck Rogers

Heck yeah! Hithcock was a genius!

Damn, I wanted to say Buck Rogers.
But we had a special version here in RSA, it was dubbed into afrikaans.
bidibidi-oh-oh.

I was still at school, but I liked the leading actress. She was nhummy.
Don't remember her dubbed name though.

Damn, I wanted to say Buck Rogers.
But we had a special version here in RSA, it was dubbed into afrikaans.
bidibidi-oh-oh.

I was still at school, but I liked the leading actress. She was nhummy.
Don't remember her dubbed name though.

You mean the gorgeous Wilma Dearing! :D

Or did you mean Twiki? :p

dun dun dunnnnn

My favourite Sci-fi is yet to be written :D

Its called the day the world (may have) ended. Its based on a true story about when the Large Hadron Collider was switched on and blackholes formed in the centre of the earth and over every major city. The story's heroes will have to journey to the centre of the earth, while Will Smith battles the black holes above the major cities using a space ship found in the 60's and was stored in Area51.

But seriously...doesn't the start of the LHC seen like a plot to a (good?) SCI-FI book? :confused:

if you listen carefully you can hear a distant humming

Last edited:
My favourite Sci-fi is yet to be written :D

Its called the day the world (may have) ended. Its based on a true story about when the Large Hadron Collider was switched on and blackholes formed in the centre of the earth and over every major city. The story's heroes will have to journey to the centre of the earth, while Will Smith battles the black holes above the major cities using a space ship found in the 60's and was stored in Area51.

Yeah, right. Because the constant barrage of cosmic rays into the Earth wouldn't have already done that if it were going to happen. :)

But seriously...doesn't the start of the LHC seen like a plot to a (good?) SCI-FI book? :confused:

I guess you missed Flashforward?

Torben

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back