Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Basic compontents you should always have on hand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to do 0805, but now I get mostly 0603. I find them easier to work with when they're smaller for some reason.

For larger caps I tend to get either aluminum electrolytic:
UWF1C100MCL1GB
or what I've been getting lately is tantalum which are almost twice the cost, but nice to work with.

Smaller caps for bypass and such would be ceramic:
C0603C105Z8VACTU

Remember to look at the prices for 100+, because it's like a third the cost.

Anyway, if there's any other options, let me know, cuz those are the caps I've settled on after a few orders. If there's something else better, let me know.

Obviously these are standard for digital circuits. I'm not crazy or smart enough for analog electronics.

Try Mouser and Digikey. Newark's expensive.

I would have said Digikey is the expensive one. Mouser is most often my first choice. Newark sells PICs for very near the same price as Microchip Direct which is about 1/2 the digikey price. If I am buying more the a few bits I check to see who is lowest.

Digikey has a better selection of most everything.

EDIT: Regarding caps. To start with get the .1uF for bypass and caps for crystals like 22 and 33 pf. Past that order on a per project basis. Always get a few extra. They make SMD crystals too.

Last edited:
Yes, that's why I listed Mouser first. Digikey has a better search engine, that's why I used it for that. Didn't know Newark was cheaper on ANYTHING, thanks for the tip.

Also, 1206 = .12" x .06", I was off by a decimal.

Yes, that's why I listed Mouser first. Digikey has a better search engine, that's why I used it for that. Didn't know Newark was cheaper on ANYTHING, thanks for the tip.

Also, 1206 = .12" x .06", I was off by a decimal.

Not a problem. And I agree regarding the search engine.

used to do 0805, but now I get mostly 0603. I find them easier to work with when they're smaller for some reason.

Wow. I was fearful of 805's at first. I have not tried smaller parts.

When I first ordered from Newark there was a contract price listed which was very attractive. After about a year I found out it was the contract price for purchases by Sandia National Laboratories. At that point the fixed it and I had to pay like everyone else :)

i can see why. Talking about Krumlink where the hell is he? I havent heard from him in a while.

I speak with him about once a month. He is dong well. You will not see here.

The last time we talked he had a PIC moving a robot.

I was just searching for a cheap source for more 75HC595's. Jameco had them for 10 cents each in quan ity 10. That was OK since I need 20. But they only had 1 in stock. The place can be trying.

Bumping this older post, but I found this pic of an SOIC chip I wanted to breadboard before I made my own PCB's. I thought it was pretty funny.

Attachments

• mid-air-smd.jpg
    mid-air-smd.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 169
Bumping this older post, but I found this pic of an SOIC chip I wanted to breadboard before I made my own PCB's. I thought it was pretty funny.

Deadbug soldering is an art form! :D

Looks good!

I have seen whole projects built like that - very interresting!

May look funny, but you have the right idea about not letting these problems stop you.

Last edited:
A few more ideas.

What you needs depends on what you want to build.

If you are going to do audio work you will not need the same set of parts as a person doing a home control network.

This could work for you if your interests are not too varied. Find about 6 or so projects you would be interested in building. Look at the parts which are common to two or more projects. If they are inexpensive get a few.

Some parts like common transistors are so cheap I suggest buying what could well be a life time supply. For example about $3 will get 100 2n3904 or 2n3906 's. Then when you get them verify the pinout with a multi meter and write it on the package you store them in. It will save time.

3v0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back