Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FAQs for you

Aimee Kalnoskas

Administrator
Hello,

I know it has been a while, but as the editor of EEWorldonline.com (WTWH Media), I want to find more time to participate here.

On that note, I thought I could start posting some interesting projects and tutorials from some of our sites. Feel free to tell me if you are interested or annoyed.

I feel like I can count on this community to give me input on both counts.

Cheers,
Aimee

In the electronic projects section there is quite a lot of really cool stuff. But! its in a bit of a state and needs far better categorizing. I have over 20 but not even I can find them any more..

There are loads of tutorials form members like Hesam_m, crutschow and many more.
If this is tidied up and you put more on top its will be a massive benefit to this forum.

The electronics hobby is moving / has moved more and more to module linking, and using code libraries rather than building discrete components and coding, not a bad thing as it allows quick and powerful ideas being constructed, problems arise when things do not work as expected, then the hobbyist needs to chase fixes / info from the internet. That is where ETO and its members come into its own (IMO) Complete projects are easy enough to find, maybe adapt , making some of them work how the maker wanted, can be more of a challenge. Electronic math and formula for me has always been problematic, and usually solved (or not ) by trial and error, also learning new devices needs an understanding of terms, symbols, data sheets etc. All very rewarding if eventually the LCD 'says' "Hello World" (for instance) .

The electronics hobby is moving / has moved more and more to module linking, and using code libraries rather than building discrete components and coding, not a bad thing as it allows quick and powerful ideas being constructed, problems arise when things do not work as expected, then the hobbyist needs to chase fixes / info from the internet. That is where ETO and its members come into its own (IMO) Complete projects are easy enough to find, maybe adapt , making some of them work how the maker wanted, can be more of a challenge. Electronic math and formula for me has always been problematic, and usually solved (or not ) by trial and error, also learning new devices needs an understanding of terms, symbols, data sheets etc. All very rewarding if eventually the LCD 'says' "Hello World" (for instance) .
I've talked with several old-timers about certain engineers' reluctance to use op amps & logic chips for fear they'd be criticized by coworkers for using prefab circuits or for not understanding the black box. This challenge seems to continue as each layer of abstraction is added from transistor to chips, logic chips fo CPUs, CPUs to single board micro controllers or single board computers and various programmable modules with WiFi, Bluetooth or other interface technology. There's always someone who "knows better" and, somehow, "better" is always "the old way" of doing things while the rest of the world advances the "wrong way".

Not at all, there's no pointed living in the past - it makes far more sense to use what's available, what does the best job, with the least effort, at the best price.
That's my attitude - "purists" never advance anything. Some purist audiophiles are still listening to their moldy old speakers because they were "the best" back in 1977 - now the particle board is full of moisture, the screw threads holding the speakers in place are pulling loose and the connections on the terminals are rusting. The paper around the voice coil may have disintegrated long ago as well. But they are great speakers and the owner couldn't imagine the terrible sound of a modern speaker - or even a new old stock version of their existing speaker.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back