Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Basic compontents you should always have on hand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
great idea! I will try this alot! Im sure it only works on single/double layers since thats all you can do but seems like a great! idea.

Yeah, it's no good on multi-layered boards. Then you might need a real X-ray (or a very, very bright light table).

Yeah i erased the other post ... that quoted one.. didnt feel like i looked at the image enough to say that. What Transistor is it?

It's a good ol' 2N3055, which is nice because it's nothing exotic. Actually the whole thing is bog-standard parts (TIP32, LM723, 2N3055, and a handful of resistors and caps, basically). I just haven't had time to get to doing up the schematic yet as I've been settling in at a new job.

Cheers,

Torben

I wouldn't say the OP is boasting. He simply replied to a post about the need for a camera. I for one would rather see a tightly focused macro shot, of a circuit from a decent camera than something unrecognizable from a cellphone.

Yes, I was a little hasty in my reply. I've edited it.

Mike.

One thing I have recently added to my work area is a second monitor for the computer. Makes blog entries, surfing the web and general files/programs much easier to manage. Plus you can get two smaller flat screens for less that one big one.

Mike 2545

I gtta tell ya, the day that I realised that I had every value resistor, both 1/4w, and
1/2w known to man, as well as every capacitor, and electrolytic value, every small switching diode, power diode, transistor, every voltage transformer, and a REALLY GOOD variable temperature soldering pencil....was a very happy day. I seldom have to ever visit the electronics store. It comes from 30 years of buying 5 more of every value that I needed for a project, and carefully putting away the extras in component drawers.

...I had every value resistor, both 1/4w, and
1/2w known to man...

Sorry, nobody uses that obsolete junk anymore. It's all surface-mount now.
Get with the program!

Sorry Boy

Sorry mate...you arnt gonna lure me into a never-ending surface-mount fight.
My basement, my projects, my components, my 60 in LCD TV...my rules.
I was working with surface-mount before you were born. My first 250 in 1 Radio Shack kit in 1975 had a 3inch wide square of substrate covered with various surface mount components (capacitors, transistors, resistors) that were contacted to spring clips, to wire into projects. Earlier kits from the late 60s that I had touted a brand new device that would be used in the FUTURE...the INTEGRATED CRCUIT!! (insert ominous music here)

I dont really feel like prototyping with components that I can only see the value of with a magnifying glass. Whenever I repair something that requires surface-mount, same rule apples...whenever I need 2 of a value...I buy 10 or 20, and stash the extras. As I said, I can build most projects without having to visit the shop. And since most of what I build in my own workshop is for me, or my family or friends, who cares what the hell I make it from.
A surplus store was going out of business, and had 80% off of everything, so I bought about 50 project cases, all in various sizes...and I still have a few left. I also bought enough hook-up wire, transformers, and Perfboard to last me until the day I die.
Yup, Im an old fart, but as long as my wife has a tight body that you can bounce a silver-dollar off of, and breasts that defy gravity...Im a happy old fart.

PS. the dates that I have quoted probibly arnt terriby accurate...I cant really remember the exact dates these kits came out in.

Last edited:
i hope that was a joke duffy. Let me see you breadboard a SMD lol it will cost more for the adapter then the resistor/cap etc...

I still see new devices use normal non SMD devices. SMD are used for smaller portable and less power hungry devices.

If you make a tiny MP3 player then you go SMD but if its a home stereo i want to see you try to make it SMD and live lol. Most SMD devices are low power so not good for higher power usage.

Ah, but you are wrong. Lots of SMD devices use the board itself as a heatsink, or provide thermal contacts on the topside. Texas Instrument's 315W Class D power stage (TAS5261) is SMT only.

and a lot of traditional components can build something as small as surface-mount...so whats the point?

Each size of components has its own benefits...and all belong in the happy little suburb called "Electronic Circuit Projects"....lets all hold hands and sing "We Are The World"

All are welocome here...all except those Damn Canadians

you are talking about 100% smd . Im talking about x% smd. where x is what ever is smd.

If you can get it Through Hole then thats the best bet for testing. If its only in SMD then of course a adapter is needed for testing. But then you are a*s-ed out because unless your are 100% of the operation you have to buy 2 smd parts or know how to desolder well.

Im basically saying SMD is good for final or low power. And other non SMD are great for prototyping and Higher Power.

Last edited:
Who says components are inexpensive....heres mt Visa bill...and its maxed out...oh darn...I forgot...this is my electronic component AND my
Adult Video-buying card!

oooops

Last edited:
I have some Chinese resistors. The brown, red and orange bands are the same dirty reddish-orange colour. I need to measure each one before using it.

I have a bag with about 10,000 resistors that i need to check there value lol i just buy new ones tho. Thats too many to go through. When i get about 2 days to myself then ill value(label) them all. I still need some little plastic bags...

Anyone know where to get tiny zip lock bags? Like 3 inches tall and 1-2 inches wide?

I simply use my brain to remember what parts I have.

Me too, and labeled component drawers and bags.

I get all of my resistors and caps from Mouser now. 0603 components can get down to a penny each, so getting 100 to 1000 doesn't cost very much. If it's the choice of getting 10 resistors for 50cents or 100 for a dollar, I just spend the dollar.

I have plenty of old thru hole components that I'm just going to store in bags, because I use thru-hole so rarely now-a-days.

heh i used to buy from SureElectronics mainly because they had that 2000 resistors in various values for $3.99

They raised the price by a few bucks which isnt bad still.

EDIT: This would be my shopping cart :D

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back