Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Basic compontents you should always have on hand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently, for many projects, pic chips and a programmer are essential.

Mike.
Someone had to mention them.:D

Yes, most of my recent projects revolve around a micro-controller. It didn't always used to be that way. Like Its said "digital circuits are made from analogue parts"

Where you are and what type of design you're building makes a difference. What are you interested in?

A big hammer is also a good thing to have around for those really tricky problems.

A big hammer is also a good thing to have around for those really tricky problems.

Hm. . .that leads to the thought of a whole new use for this stick welder. mua-ha-ha-ha

Torben

This may not be critical but its a good idea to have a digital camera. It has many , many uses.

I am a professional photographer so I have that more than covered. Wait..... Do you think 25k worth of cameras and lenses plus additional lighting equipment will cover it? LMAO

lol dont be a showoff :D just joking but if your going to be working with this stuff, its a good idea to have on hand... a lot of....patience lol (and hair) be aware hair loss is imminent.

I am a professional photographer so I have that more than covered. Wait..... Do you think 25k worth of cameras and lenses plus additional lighting equipment will cover it? LMAO

No, most people starting out in electronics will not require most of your equipment. <edit> Maybe I was a little hasty in my reply.</edit>

Mike.

Last edited:
Aww, that's not so bad. Go look at the posts from OP in the "Wow" thread.

Here is a link to a site that has lots of component kits. I've never used them myself, but the prices look good. Some other sites with parts fairly cheap:
**broken link removed**
Electronic components - dipmicro electronics
Not as cheap but commercial with lots of stock:
Digi-Key Corporation - USA Home Page
US - Electronic Components Distributor | Newark.com
Mouser Electronics - Electronic Component Distributor
The best tactic for acquiring parts is to have some standard resistor and capacitor kits as already mentioned. Some diode and transistor assortments are also good, but don't go overboard. Next choose a project you want to build and order extra of any of the parts you may need in the future because most places give a discount for quantity. I usually design and build my own projects to fit the parts I have on hand which makes things easier parts wise.
No, most people starting out in electronics will not require any of your equipment. Please go and boast somewhere else.
I wouldn't say the OP is boasting. He simply replied to a post about the need for a camera. I for one would rather see a tightly focused macro shot, of a circuit from a decent camera than something unrecognizable from a cellphone.

Last edited:
I have already been salvaging as many components as I can. I have salvaged so far:
5 radios with cd players bought at a yard sale for $.75 each
2 old CB radios that were damaged
1 old marine radio/radiophone that was given to me
4 old vcr's
1 old 100 watt car stereo amp
3 old Toshiba stereo receivers that had the front panels busted up. (found on the curb on a Saturday)
and a hand full of old cd rom drives.
have 6 or 7 old atx psu ranging from 250 watt to 400 watt. Converted one to a bench supply.

I am just salvaging the through hole stuff as I have a hard time desoldering smd IC's and SMD resistors and caps. I have not even taken most of it apart as my day job is running my photography business. I mainly shoot sports and right now is the middle of college winter / spring sports season. So I am swamped.

Nice! It's surprising to me sometimes that some people resist doing this. Sometimes I get project idea after taking something apart, seeing something I don't recognize (or do recognize but haven't used before) and thinking "hey, I could make a . . . with that".

Regards,

Torben

I wouldn't say the OP is boasting. He simply replied to a post about the need for a camera. I for one would rather see a tightly focused macro shot, of a circuit from a decent camera than something unrecognizable from a cellphone.

I have to agree with kchriste on this one. But yeah, there's no need for anything too crazy in the photography department; a half-decent digital compact will serve just fine in the shop. I often find myself using mine for taking "notes", documenting my projects and keeping track of what I've actually got running on the breadboard.

I also use them for reverse engineering. Right now, I've got a bench PSU which I build from a kit several years ago. Not long ago I managed to burn out the base resistor on the pass transistor. I can't find the schematic from the kit anymore, and my original photos from when I build the thing don't show the colour code on the resistor in question well enough for me to be able to tell what the value was. So last night I did an "X-ray" shot to make drawing out the schematic easier so I can work out the value (see attached photo).

Another use for a digital camera in the shop: checking IR LEDs.

Torben

Attachments

• power_supply_small.jpg
    power_supply_small.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 170
Ok i know im gullible but how the heck you do a x-ray shot? Is it a blank PCB overlay of a occupied PCB?

Nope; I just shot the component side of the board, then flipped it over and shot the solder side. I loaded the images into the GIMP, flipped one of the shots horizontally, and layered them. Then I made the top layer semi-transparent so you can see through it.

If you make sure the original photos are taken from the same distance and angle, then it only takes a few minutes to whip one up. Then I can use the resulting fake "X-ray" image on my laptop so I can work on drawing out the schematic without having to keep grabbing the circuit and flipping it over to match up the traces with the components. Plus, I can work on it whereever I am and don't need to have the actual circuit with me at the time.

Might not work for some people but for me it's a big time-saver.

Cheers,

Torben

dude it would be simple to change the resistor. Test how much power/current comming from the IC side and then get info on the transistor. And find the minimal powe/current to operate it and calculate it from the ICs power/current and your set.

Heh, yeah, I know, but I also want to take the opportunity to make sure I have a working schematic of the board for future use, and to see if there are any mods I want to make while I've got it open. I've already got datasheets and LTspice models for the components so I can fiddle with it in the simulator if I like.

Cheers,

Torben

great idea! I will try this alot! Im sure it only works on single/double layers since thats all you can do but seems like a great! idea.

Yeah i erased the other post ... that quoted one.. didnt feel like i looked at the image enough to say that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back