Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

9 Volts + 9 Volts = bang !

Status
Not open for further replies.

RODALCO

I had to replace two flat 9 Volt multi-meter batteries at work and decided to do the following test and see what happens.

One was down to about 5.5 Volts, while the other was down to around 7.5 Volts.

The test result surprised me. I didn't see them explode but one hour later this was the result.
The batteries were put outside during the test.
One pack completely ruptured, other one intact and holding some voltage.

It does certainly confirm the warnings about explosion danger of batteries.

Warning: if you do the test and decide to see what happens, I strongly recommend that you wear safety goggles and have a transparant piece of PVC or glass to shield yourself from the rupture.
You never know what way these cells may explode.

Regards, Raymond

Attachments

• DSC03764.JPG
    DSC03764.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 327
  • DSC03765.JPG
    DSC03765.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 328
Put + to - and + to - as per first photo.

The circulating current is limited by the batteries internal resistance.

The heating will rupture the casing.

At work a woman gave a speech to everybody. She had a wireless microphone that fed a PA system.
She began dancing and jumping.
The spare 9V alkaline battery in her pocket was shorted by her keys and was burning her.

I used to do this as a kid thinking it would charge the other battery backup... Luckily this never happened to me! :eek:

If you connected them positive to positive, then that would happen but not positive to negative.

Another thing is sometimes batteries can blow hours after they've been abused. When I was a child I remember connecting a 9V battery to a dead button cell to see what would happen. The button cell didn't rupture immediately but half an hour or so later.

When I was a kid, I've tried recharging the dead 9 V alkaline. Guess what, I connected the live and neutral to the +ve and -ve of the battery by using transparent tape :eek: .
Then I turn on the main from far and turn off quickly. Smoke coming out :eek: . Luckily there's no one else at home otherwise I got scolded :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back