Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Worn screw head

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could try putting epoxy on the end of the driver, prop it in place and let it dry over night and then unscrew it... :)

*Nods* Yeah, that will do it for ya. :) But... good luck getting the screwdriver off! :lol: They sell "Epoxy in a twin tube dispenser" at Radioshack. 1 oz. :wink: For like... $2.

I find the little cut off wheel that fits a mini drill cuts a nice screwdriver slot, if theres room

The blowlamp will shift epoxy from a screwdriver :lol:

Sometimes insertion of the torx (works for Phillips too) followed by a tap or two from a hammer to further drive the bit in is of some help. Make sure you don't ruin that which is attached to the screw. The tap from the hammer seats the driver just a tiny bit better and also serves to loosen the screw so that less torque is required.

I like the idea of cutting a slot with a little cutoff tool - never would have considered that myself.

A #6 is a *very* small Torx driver. I doubt anyone has steady enough hands to cut a slot into that :wink: . Slotting also does not work if the screw head is recessed as they often are.
Epoxying would not work too well either, IMO, for the reason that there is too little area for it to grip.
That leaves perhaps the method I had to use recently to undo a #6 torx screw for which I had no driver that small. I got a jewellers flat blade screwdriver and carefully filed the blade so it would jam in an managed to undo the screw without damage to it. It just might work in your case if the torx slot is not too badly mangled. If it is I would try a triangular scraper ( small file ground smooth on all sides) with the tip ground so it just grips the remaining hole. You'd have to push in rather hard as you turn it or you just scrape a neater round hole :(
klaus

If your needing to remove dmaged screws from time to time, check out an auto restoration web site called 'EASTWOODS'. they have some very nice LEFT-HANDED drills that will remove most scres while drilling a hole in the center of the head. Used this set up many time in the field and it works everytime! (drill set is fairly cheap and a good buy!)

**broken link removed**

This may work in your situation, get a drill bit about the size of the head and maybe some smaller ones and drill it first with a drill bit the size of the head intill you hit the substance the head is aginst (ex. sheetrock screw and sheetrock) then go to a smaller one half the size or 3/4 the size of the first one. you will get the matterial it is holding in place but then the screw will still be anckered in the other object some times you can use vicegrips on the part sticking out to turn it. this is you last resort, what type of screw is it and what type material is it i am not familiar with the item you listed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back