Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

micro screw terminal block

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet 90% of the connections in the millions of cars on the road are crimped. National and international standards for HV connections use crimps.
Yes, exactly. Properly crimped connections are in effect "pressure welds" with gastight connections and exceptionally reliable.
Exactly as I said: In reference to small terminals, and, Unless you use the exact, correct crimp tool - which major manufacturers do.

The simply "squashing" plier type tools generally sold for DIY use do not apply sufficient pressure to exclude gas. Properly matched, professional grade tools do, the force is enough to slightly extrude the crimp and the wire in it, making the metals flow together and conform.
eg. This type of thing is a toy.
Or these for larger colour coded crimps, equally bad:

Small connector terminals need a different tool for each maker and series; eg. the black ones you posted are similar to such as Molex SL and Harwin M20 - but the crimp inserts for each make are rather different and need totally different tools, to guarantee proper reliability:
**broken link removed**

There is no way you can know what tool is needed for unbranded kits such as you showed; and even if you did, would you spend £200 - £400 on the matching tool, on the offchance the next kit you bought had the exact same type of pins?

The only way to be sure of a good permanent connection on small crimp terminals like those in DIY situations where you do not have the exact tool is to also solder them.

Once you get up to such as the colour coded types, proper compound action tools with dies that prevent the terminal just squashing out at the sides are relatively cheap and readily available.

Larger still, terminal lugs are pretty standardised in relatively few sizes to match standard cables and heavy duty tooling is not all that expensive - far cheaper than kitting up for a range of small pin crimps!

So, you are asserting that the 'normal force' in push fit connectors is sufficient to provide a gas tight seal between the connector surfaces, but that the ~450N force of the average male hand grip, applied (with leverage) to a few mm² using an inexpensive crimping tool cannot?

If I say more, you'll ban me again.

But the OP dont work at NASA and in 40 years most new to Crimping cant make a good crimp But crimping is good when done right with the right tools and using the right crimps
But them Telecoms gel IDC splice are fool prof

But the OP dont work at NASA and in 40 years most new to Crimping cant make a good crimp But crimping is good when done right with the right tools and using the right crimps
But them Telecoms gel IDC splice are fool prof
1) For anything to work, it has to be done properly. There is a distinction between 'needs to be done correctly', and 'cannot be done correctly'.

2) I was simply offering an alternative, not an absolute. The OP can make their own mind up.

""I was simply offering an alternative, not an absolute. The OP can make their own mind up.""
True so true
But I never said you was wrong Im just saying that cannot be done correctly is normally
the case for most. After all people now days watch a youtube and then there a pro

Im just saying that cannot be done correctly is normally
the case for most.
I find that a very weak argument.

To assume a stranger doesn't have the gumption to position a wire and a connector in the correct set of color coded jaws and squeeze until the ratchet releases...

Well. It's just not an assumption I would make.

Lol maybe you need to go to work with me. I've seen guys that have been crimping wires for years that cant make a good crimp. Maybe there just lazy cause most of it is from the wrong
crimper and the rest is from not crimping the right spot.
The stuff I work on doesn't allow for bad connections.

Hope the OP gets his wiring fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back