Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

micro screw terminal block

Status
Not open for further replies.

g2c

Hello,
I discovered that my ftp Ethernet cable is not made of cupper but of cca. These cannot be soldered so I am looking for a miniature screw cable to cable connector, something like the one in the
picture but very small with say 1mm pitch or so. Anu Idea?
Thanks for your time!
1633256908046.png

Post 2 is better options it cuts out lots of problems of bad connections
only way to go with Ethernet cable extending an existing ethernet wire.

If you need a jack install a jack but it's nuts to install a jack plus a plug to hook two cables together and have it pulled lose when extending a cable.

If you have one of these flat cable connector crimping tools thay can be used as reasonably compact, semi permenant connections between multi core signal cables.

71KpdTxaJ4L._AC_SL1100_.jpg

Post 2 is better options it cuts out lots of problems of bad connections
only way to go with Ethernet cable extending an existing ethernet wire.

If you need a jack install a jack but it's nuts to install a jack plus a plug to hook two cables together and have it pulled lose when extending a cable.
I never suggested a jack, I suggested the correct IDC connector box to join Ethernet cable together, far better, neater and more reliable than those horrible single 'bean' things :D

IDC doesn't mean a plug and socket, it just means Insulation Displacement Connector.

Like this:

Those horrible single 'bean' things are insulation-piercing contacts which is also known as IDC

There what the phone company use for horrible little wires like the OP wants to connect but can't solder.

Last edited:
Thanks, never saw these before. are the wires screwed? Can you please send a link to technical / mechanical details? Are these on ebay?

But what i find funny is I've used cat 5 all the time and it solders fine.
And i use them horrible single 'bean' things to make my cat 5 longer for cameras
because it reliable. they don't pull apart. guess the same reason the phone company uses them.
""

WIRE CONNECTORS - UR IDC BUTTSPLICE 19-26 AWG - RED - 3 WIRE - GEL FILLED​

Make wire splicing simple with these handy IDC buttsplice connectors. Self-stripping, insulated and moisture resistant, these buttsplice connectors are ideal for telephone wires. Simply insert both wires and snap the connector shut. The connectors are gel-filled to provide moisture resistance.

Features:

• 19-26 AWG
  • Color: Red
  • 2- or 3-wire
  • Self-stripping
  • Gel-filled
  • Solid Conductors Only
  • Insulated and moisture resistant
  • Ideal for sensor and polarity wires
That's red ones yellow are for smaller wire

Last edited:
The history here. Already a month, Still not resolved(!)

""screwed contacts""
Have one big problem that IDC don't have.
The screw cut's the wire and it breaks off.
That's probably why IDC was invented in the first place.

Nothing is perfect. With screw i know that if i exerce ~20gf and it does not come then contact is established

hanks, never saw these before. are the wires screwed? Can you please send a link to technical / mechanical details? Are these on ebay?
No, they are crimped. you insert the wire into a small bore piece of metal tube and squeeze the metal to form the connection.

I'd also recommend the gel splices that be80be posted. Make sure they are the gel/grease filled ones, a dry version is also available but that has no corrosion resistance, which is absolutely essential with mixed metals such as the CCA cable.

Just push the two wires all the way in, then squeeze the thing with a pair of pliers until the "button" is flush, to force the IDC contacts to engage with the wires.

There are many makes, search "Telecoms gel IDC splice" for various types.
eg.

I'd also suggest avoiding small "crimp" terminals such as Buk posted. Unless you use the exact, correct crimp tool, they are not reliable in the long term. Simply folding the tabs around a wire does not form a "gas tight" connection, so corrosion is likely to be a problem in the long term.

They are OK if you also solder them, but from decades of experience and seeing faults even with commercial gear that uses similar small crimp terminals, I'd not use them unsoldered.

I'd also suggest avoiding small "crimp" terminals such as Buk posted. Unless you use the exact, correct crimp tool, they are not reliable in the long term.
Hm.

Yet 90% of the connections in the millions of cars on the road are crimped. National and international standards for HV connections use crimps.

And then there are NASA's workmanship guidelines: which starts
Crimped Terminations
Crimping is an efficient and highly reliable method to assemble and terminate conductors, and typically provides a stronger, more reliable termination method than that achieved by soldering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back