Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

World's tallest TV antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once upon a time, I was working for a very "low cost" radio station. They did not have a drill. I went to Sears and got the very cheapest drill for my self. I needed to use it on a tower. Made a deal with the boss that if the drill got damaged he would get me a new one. I dropped the drill from about 200 feet up. It hit concrete. Boss was watching. Not helping much. Boss sent me back to Sears to get a new one. On sale they had a better drill for the same price. That drill burned up. Next one some one different dropped it from the tower. By the time that tower was completed I had the very best drill Sears had. (and a box full of tools that did not survive)
and drop the radio on the boss.
It is hard to hit the target.

shouldn't the tools be secured somehow?
Yes, the drill extension cord was tied to my belt. The extension cord and drill cord were tied together. A drill pulls hard and can undo the knot and get away. It is also hard to work with rope tied to each tool. A box wrench is hard to use with a string on it. Don't stand under the tower! Every one should be at about the same level.

I tried a rope on each tool. It is hard when your belt is connected to one leg of the tower. You wrench-rope is cough on a different leg. The extension cord is cough on a bold 20 feed down and you can't reach to get unconnected.

And why the hard had? What could possibly fall on you? ;)

In vessels we consider it a reasonable precaution when someone starts climbing the same ladder before you. Dirty shoes in 14-m ladders put you in the necessity of waiting for too long or take the risk.

If that's the tower that fell down in the late 90's due to a ice storm I helped cut up the original one and know where much of it is still laying in a rural scrap yard today!

ice storm
Some where I have a picture, small station, ice storm, radio tower down, fell across all the cars in the parking lot.
upload_2017-9-25_18-54-21.jpeg

If that's the tower that fell down in the late 90's due to a ice storm I helped cut up the original one and know where much of it is still laying in a rural scrap yard today!
TMTECH:
I was told that a sister antenna, a few miles away and a few feet shorter, was the one which failed during an ice storm.
Or so I was told.

It could have been. I forget the name of which station it was beyond being about 50 miles outside fargo. ~20 years does that to a person's memory.

Correct me if I'm wrong,
But if you are working on top of the tower, shouldn't the tools be secured somehow?
Because that's a really long way to climb back down and pick your spanner up if you drop it...

I should add that I was joking in my previous post (#16) - working at that kind of height is no place to be banging your head, or to have the chap above you drop a tool on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back