Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wireless signal to security camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

JenJames

Looking for advice-I know nothing about electronics, that's why I'm on this site. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

How would you accomplish this task: have a wireless signal sent from a card swiper (debit/credit machine) to a security camera? I'm trying to allow for a customer to swipe their payment card and that would trigger the security camera to turn on for either 30 or 60 minutes depending on their selection. It would then automatically turn off.

Thanks so much!

Jen

Sounds suspicious, like you're trying to record the person typing in their PIN.

Yeah, seems a little weird, why would the customer want to be on video? I can understand just having the camera take video of people using the card reader when in use, but most security DVRs already have motion sensing, or alarm triggers (mine has them, and it's nearly 15 years old).

Unless the customer is paying for 30-60seconds of video fame, can't see the point in this. And as pointed out, it would be more useful to skimmers and scammers. I'd be reluctant to post any ideas on the forum, as a simple Google search would make those details available to anyone on the web, wouldn't even need to sign in as a member. I have the same aversion to wireless switches, and they are so useful for many things, both good and bad.

Of course not

No, I am not recording them at the keypad. For instance, photo booths. Customers swipe their card to pay for the service and then the video recording starts in the booth, not at the paypoint. Later customers can get on my website and watch the footage that they have paid for.

My business idea is similar to that. I am not willing to state my business idea as it is currently not being done anywhere and it is my idea. I just need to know how to start the video recording at the appropriate time. Also, I said minutes, not seconds.

I can use motion detection to send the video and then delete sections I don't need, but seems much more efficient to have the debit machine talk to the camera.

For a booth a more practical method would be a simple coin or bill acceptor. Debit / Credit devices would require wired bank access.

That would be fine too, but (and sorry to sound ignorant) still, how do I get the camera to turn on once payment is made?

Also, the camera would be on the other side of the wall from where the payment acceptance method (debit or coin) is.

A coin accepter will often close a switch based on the coin deposited. You'll need a way of counting the number of coins needed for the function you need an start a timer that starts and stops whatever video camera you plan to use. You're going to have to figure out what sort of camera you want to use, how do you plan to get the video to the customer?

Vague project where the OP keeps the details to themselves tend to stall & fizzle very quickly on a forum. Personal Patents are worse than useless and secret projects are impossible to work on in a forum.

From what I understand, retailers have to pay for the privilege of accepting credit/debit cards. Stores can offset this in their prices, where it's spread out so cash customers help out as well. You might look into that cost first, see if its worth while. Would people be willing to pay what you will have to charge, rather than use a webcam at home, not to mention many cell phones and digital cameras do video as well. Will the cost out weigh the demand? Just something to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back