Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why the output of ICs doesnt reach 5V??

Status
Not open for further replies.

StupidDum

I connect a +9V supply and ground to 555 timer, the output is merely 0.6 Vpp. I connect the output of 555 to a comparator LM293, with ground reference, the output is still less than 1Vpp. I doubt the comparator couldnt cope with frequency 40kHz, hence i replaced it with op amp LM385. The waveform is nicer, no distortion, however, its Vpp is still less than 1Vpp.

When i increase the supply voltage from +9V to +12V, the output of 555 timer, op amp, just increase slightly to less than 1.5Vpp.

hmm.. i wonder why?

Scope?

Since you mentioned that you measured the output originally as 0.6v p-p, I assume that you're using an oscilloscope. Perhaps the output voltage is fine and you are using a 10X attenuator probe which you've forgotten to include in figuring the input sensitivity of your scope. If on the 0.1v/div range with a 10X probe, the screen will actually be 1v/div, so a six-division-high waveform will be 6 v p-p, not 0.6 v p-p.

Dean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back