Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why LCR Meter has tes frequency for resistance measurement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dknguyen

Most Helpful Member
I was using the Agilent U1733C LCR meter and was wondering why meaning there is for the test frequency selection when doing resistance measurements. It affects the reading and I have no idea why you would use anything but DC to measure a resistance.

Last edited:
The meter has the ability to measure at different frequencies for L and C so why not R?

A resistor is not perfect. Depending on how it is made and what resistance it will not have the same reading at all frequencies.
Wire wound resistors are real bad, they have inductance. Spiral cut resistors also have some problems with inductance.
I think 10,000,000 resistors are not good at high frequencies.

But wouldn't measuring a resistor at anything but DC start to give you impedance rather than resistance? The meter has a separate impedance reading.

You would thing that resistance or impedance at DC and 60hz will be the same for a resistor.
Win I was building 100mhz video amplifiers we used special non inductive power resistors.
In microwave amplifiers we had to look up the impedance for the resistors.

You would thing that resistance or impedance at DC and 60hz will be the same for a resistor.
Win I was building 100mhz video amplifiers we used special non inductive power resistors.
In microwave amplifiers we had to look up the impedance for the resistors.
Well the issue is that the LCR meters seems incapable of reading resistance at DC at all. We're stuck measuring only 100Hz and up.

If it's a wire wound resistor, the skin effect may cause the real resistance to got up with frequency.
That is unrelated to any increase in reactance due to its inductance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back