Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why does my computer have high magnetic fields - only in certain houses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Jones

I sometimes use a gaussmeter to measure the magnetic fields around my computer, keyboard, mouse, and headphones (all wired directly into the computer).

The strange thing is that in some houses I've lived, there's virtually no magnetic field at all, while in other houses, there's an extremely high magnetic field around all my peripherals (even though the hardware never changes). Some houses just seem to have really high magnetic fields everywhere, while others don't.

Does anyone know what causes these strong fields, and is there anything I can do to keep them out of my computer? I don't want unnecessary magnetic fields engulfing all my hard drives (or my body, for that matter).

Please post a video of all your iron things flying into your computer.

Maybe "The Force" is with you.

JimB

The strange thing is that in some houses I've lived, there's virtually no magnetic field at all, while in other houses, there's an extremely high magnetic field around all my peripherals
Probably due to differences in any local steel-frame buildings/structures or mains wiring layouts, or to different distributions of domestic appliances.

Maybe there is a magnetite deposit under some of your homes. Or some of your furniture is possessed by Magnetron.

I don't want unnecessary magnetic fields engulfing all my hard drives (or my body, for that matter).
Those field levels are way, way below anything that would affect your hard drives (or your body).
Why do you think they would?

Those field levels are way, way below anything that would affect your hard drives (or your body).
Why do you think they would?
A proliferation of Woo-woo sites out there, preying on those who know no better, and more-than-willing to separate them from their hard-earned cash?

"We have this handy meter, for only $429.95 as a one-time payment*, or you can take advantage of our monthly-leasing options starting at $19.95 p/m, for 60 months**. If you take the lease option, we will throw in a whole-body mesh cloak***, valued at $325 for free! "

* The same item can be found at Walmart for $14.95, but our sticker makes it special!
** $19.95 is way cheaper than $429.95 isn't it? You can trust us.
*** Product not guaranteed to cure any medical complaints, or prevent you from looking like a complete idiot whilst wearing it.

;)

Last edited:
This thought just occurred to me.
Maybe the OP is simply Seeking Protection... or something similar.

Or...
the OP some how acquired a gauss meter through some unknown life event and he turns it on once in a while and noted a variation. His post did not say he was concerned, it just said he measured a difference.

No two houses are alike, bad wiring methods are vast. And a loose .... line can cause EM leakage. No existing Earth connection can as well result in more noisy equipment. Or ground faults if the operating device requires an active Earth line.

On another note, EM fields do seem to be a growing topic in the worry concern environment even beyond the fringe. It does appear that the grapes of wrath are growing quite well on the vines these days. :oops:

[ Edit ], implying the phrase not the book...

and is there anything I can do to keep them out of my computer? I don't want unnecessary magnetic fields engulfing all my hard drives (or my body, for that matter).

That must imply some form of concern?

Last edited:
This sounds like a concern to me.
Who reads all the way to the last sentence? Ok, I'm wrong. He just sounded so ______ until that point. I guess I am just looking for the best in people.

This thought just occurred to me.
Maybe the OP is simply Seeking Protection... or something similar.
Hmmm... That's what I thought..

Anyway JJ thread failed.. matter closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back