Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why are Devices...

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you mean "melted". The germanium is in a can where you can't see it.

But they can be more easily damaged than a silicon transistor with too much soldering heat.

My confusion is caused by the fact that a material that melts at over 900C can be easily damaged by soldering. My understanding of soldering damage is that the junction melts, hence, my use of the term "melted".

Maybe someone can explain how a Germanium device is damaged by soldering.

Mike.

My confusion is caused by the fact that a material that melts at over 900C can be easily damaged by soldering. My understanding of soldering damage is that the junction melts, hence, my use of the term "melted".

Maybe someone can explain how a Germanium device is damaged by soldering.
To damage a transistor you don't have to heat it to the melting point, only to the point where the junction doping profile is changed (it's the precise doping of the junctions with selected impurities that turns a piece of semiconductor into a p or n type and then into a transistor). This can occur at a much lower temperature than the melting point for the material.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back