Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why and how is PWM implemented in Field Oriented Control (FOC) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cadena

Hi everyone,

I am trying to understand and implement FOC algorithm in MATLAB for a PMSM. I understand we are converting the 3 phase stator currents into 2 time-invariant stator currents: (direct and quadrature currents or Id and Iq, respectively). But I do not unsderstand how PWM is applied here since PWM can only alternate between High and Low currents but I do not understand why this is required or how it will help in torque control since. I thought the PI controllers adjusted Id and Iq to be the same as the reference currents and then inverse Park transform and inverse Clarke transfroms would be applied to get 3 phase voltages. PWM shouldn't be used since we are feeding 3 phase voltages into the stator. So what is the function of PWM here ? What does it do ? Please your help would be really appreciated since I am struggling a lot with this. Thank you in advance.

Also could someone explain me how the PI controllers manage to convert currents into voltages to be fed into the inverse Park transform ?

Also why is Space Vector PWM (SPWM) employed ? what makes is that good ? (Could you also point me to a source (preferably academic) which explains SVPWM ?

Last edited:
With a PWM waveform feeding in to an inductive load (or load filter), the effective voltage is proportional to the DC supply * the mark-space or high-low ratio percentage of the PWM signal.

You say the system feeds "three phase voltages into the stator" - the PWM system is how the [varying] voltages are created from a fixed DC supply.

The PWM frequency must be high enough so the load inductance does not pass much current at that frequency.

PWM is a way of functionally providing a variable voltage with very low losses, possibly somewhere around 5% or less loss in a good design.
An analog system to do a similar thing may have near 50% power loss in the control electronics.

This article gives more info and waveforms etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back