Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which oscilloscope is suitable DSO203 or Hantek 6022BE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I want to buy an oscilloscope. I am confused between DSO203 and 6022BE. Also budget is an issue. Consider following points-

I'm designing a 3 PH inverter. The 6 SPWM signals generated at 16Khz are fed to 3 half bridge IGBTs. Now I want to measure the 3 Phase output of the inverter and view the waveforms. Also I want to measure the spikes generated across the IGBTs and also the gate drive signals. Also for future use I want to use it for SMPS power supplies.

Now about the two scopes:
DSO203 is a complete device with inbuilt battery. It has 4 channels (2 analog- this also confuses me.) You can carry it anywhere. It is two times costlier than 6022BE. But I can measure all the 3 Ph at the same time. It has 400Vpp.

6022BE is cheaper but it needs a computer ( I have one- no issue). It has two digital channels ( confused if I can measure the AC waves or not?)

Any thoughts?

I bought a DSO201 some time ago... Does what I need it for... It's a bit slow but you get what you pay for.

As for the DSO203, the 2 analogue channels are are the main scope channels, I would imagine the other two will be more like logic analysers with high / low levels.... I only use mine for digital signals so it would serve me better if mine had digital channels..

The battery lasts for ages... It charges via USB, so it will charge whilst downloading the storage..

As you seem to also need it for digital signals, it will be fine..

The Hantek 6022BE measures analog waveforms, it is just always set to be DC coupled and can't be set to an AC input coupled mode. The lack of AC coupling would be a severe problem if you ever wanted to look at noise/ripple on an SMPS.

Depending on the output voltage of the inverter, one thing you might also consider will be the maximum voltage ratings of the inputs: the 6022BE has a max input voltage of 35Vpeak (350V with a 10x divider probe) and the DSO203 is rated to 40Vpeak (400V with a 10x divider probe).

Another thing to consider if you ever look at digital signals will be the sampling. The 6022BE has a sample rate of 48Msamples/s with 20MHz analog bandwidth and a 1M sample data buffer. The DSO203 has a sample rate of 72MSamples/s with 8MHz analog bandwidth and a 4k sample buffer.

Similar to the DSO203, I have a "D602" pocket oscilloscope that uses MCX connectors on the probes instead of the usual BNCs, and one huge design flaw with it is that the probes have no compensation trimmer for the 10x mode. This makes waveforms look heavily distorted, making it virtually unusable in 10x mode. I don't know if the probes that come with the DSO203 will have this problem or not.

I also have a Hantek 6022BE, and while it works well for certain things, the software interface makes controlling it very cumbersome, and the software triggering is very unreliable. The 6022BE and the D602 are nice if I want to bring a scope with me somewhere, but neither of them would be my first choice compared to a bench scope.

Are the Hantek 6022BE and DSO203 the only options you are considering? If you plan to keep using the scope after this project, what kind of features do you think you would want to have?

Last edited:
Both of these choices are a painful compromise when compared to any of the Rigol DS1000Z series. However, if budget is critical, also consider finding a used DS1102E. (like the one on our local Craigslist for Can$275 which is US$220 or about Rs 14000)

Last edited:
Both of these choices are a painful compromise when compared to any of the Rigol DS1000Z series. However, if budget is critical, also consider finding a used DS1102E. (like the one on our local Craigslist for Can$275 which is US$220)
Much agreed. Unless limited space or portability are your main concerns, a bench scope will be much easier to use and have massively better features. It probably wouldn't be hard to find a secondhand scope for the same or less than something like a DSO203.

I advise you get a stand alone 'scope.
Although I'm capable of being an idiot at times I consider myself able to use test gear, however my last usb 'scope came to a sticky end doing something like you, I forgot for a second that the Usb socket and therefore the 'scope probe is connected to mains earth, and blew up a 'scope and a laptop.
If you really need to go Usb get yourself a Usb isolator and a 5v power supply to power the 'scope unit.

Agreed - if you're interested in measuring high-side gate drives then you need an isolated scope or a differential probe. A battery powered scope would be a huge advantage in this case.

Are the Hantek 6022BE and DSO203 the only options you are considering? If you plan to keep using the scope after this project, what kind of features do you think you would want to have?
I will always use them in power electronics!

I can extend my budget but considering my requirements a lower bandwidth scope is preferable!

Thank you all for your thoughts. It changed my mind. From some search I came across a chinese scope DSO5102P which have 100 Mhz bandwidth. What can be the disadvantage having more bandwidth than needed ( like I will never require more than 1 Mhz as long as I use it in power electronics ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back