Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

which components

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyhi

I unplugged my dvd rom from my xbox while the xbox was on. When I went to plug it back in I hit the wrong pin and I got 3 red lights.

I think i shorted something. Where should I begin to look? Capacitors or resistors and what is a good way to find the bad component?

I was flashing my drive, This is the reason I did something so dumb!!!

Flashing your drive? You mean you were trying to upgrade the firmware? Congratulations, you just created a brick =)

Yea I don't know what that means. Anyone intelligent have any ideas.?
I might of shorted something out. It has nothing to do with the flash ,I think I hit the wrong pin when plugging it back in.
What visual damage should I look for.

I might of shorted something out. It has nothing to do with the flash ,I think I hit the wrong pin when plugging it back in.

Well time to open her up, apply power and get the oscilloscope out and start troubleshooting. Pretty hit and miss without a service manual. I suspect you will either have to purchase a new one or send the smoked one back for repair to the factory.

Good luck

Lefty

What kind of damage could I of caused.?Wouldn't me hitting the wrong pin damage the drive more so then the motherboard?

Ever heard of ESD? (Electrostatic discharge)

A killer to anything electronic. (Like HIV to humans) Might not kill you immediately, but you will die, sooner or later.

Big flash means high voltage applied incorrectly somewhere. It obviously did some damage else no need for this post. ESD kills IC's internally. It will be virtually impossible to visually detect a defective piece of component.

The best advise I can give you is to open the unit and have a look at where external plugs are connected to the device. (power etc.). You MAY be lucky and spot something (some component) there that may be faulty. Else, I'm sorry to say, but your equipment became as useful as a BRICK in the wall. No use for any electronic application.

B.T.W. Sceadwian is one of the MOST intelligent members of the forum here, so your comment "Anyone intelligent have any ideas.?" is out of place.

When I say flashing my drive I mean updating firmware. All I did was unplug the dvd drive and plug it back in.
My question is what kind of damage could I of caused if I hit the wrong pin on the dvd drive when plugging it back in.

The electric is coming from the unit, going to the dvd drive. Thats what seems weird. I would think that I woulda damaged the dvd drive rather then something on the board. Are there typically fuses on these units?

I know I damaged something but I did not hear anything. did not smell smoke.

Is it possible to look for a bad cap?

Bad cap is nothing compared to a dead microcontroller, or a dead ROM, or a dead flash device...

I'd stick with Sceadwian words... It is a fancy brick now.

Last edited:
Sorry man, The dvd drive has its own pcb. The flashing process took place on the dvd rom pcb, not the motherboard. This happened when I believe I hit the wrong pin when connecting the wire back to the drive. Im leaning towards a blown fuse or cap nothing much bigger.

Let's see. You're looking for help, are told what probably happened by one of our more respected members, and you insult him because you can't understand what he said (even though what he said was very plain)? Seems like a weird plan. Let me know how that works out for you.

If you really did unplug the device while flashing it then there's a very good chance that you did brick it.

While it's possible that you actually did do something else to harm the hardware, it seems more likely that you killed it by unplugging it while flashing the firmware. There is a possibility that you can send it back to have it unbricked, but barring that, the only real option available is to buy a new one and use the dead one as a doorstop or bookend or something.

Torben

I wasent in the process of flashing it when I unplugged it. I was about to flash it.This happened when I plugged it back in and hit the wrong pin.

I unplugged my dvd rom from my xbox while the xbox was on. When I went to plug it back in I hit the wrong pin and I got 3 red lights.

I think i shorted something. Where should I begin to look? Capacitors or resistors and what is a good way to find the bad component?

I was flashing my drive, This is the reason I did something so dumb!!!

A little more information would help us help you. A lot more information would be better.

First, is this an XBox or an XBox 360?

Does the LED error code sequence change if you disconnect the DVD drive and try to start it up?

Do you have access to any other compatible DVD drives which you could connect to see if it will start up with them in place? You may have just bricked the DVD and not the whole thing.

Which flash update were you applying? Where did you get it?

What pin on the cable hit the wrong spot on the drive connector?

What is your location (so we can tell you where you might need to go shopping, if you need to)? What is your experience level with electronics? What test and repair equipment is available to you?

There is nowhere near enough information in your posts to reliably diagnose the problem.

Torben

I wasent in the process of flashing it when I unplugged it. I was about to flash it.This happened when I plugged it back in and hit the wrong pin.

Then you should have said that, instead of stating that you were flashing it.

You still owe Sceadwian an apology, in my books. Not that he needs me to fight his battles for him.

Torben

This is the very problem.
For example. If you hit the wrong pin that leads to some Vpp pin in some programable device, then it's a brick.

Well thanks for being more helpful. Like I said I tried the dvd drive on another xbox it worked. With it disconnected I still get 3 red lights..error 0021, Wich is bad flash related but not in this case. it is also south bridge or I believe not enough power going to the gpu.

Its a xbox 360 and I was flashing with 1.51 ixtreme and used jungleflasher. I did not have a connectivity kit and it was a ms28 drive so I had to put it in vendor mode. Thats why I unplugged it for a second and plugged it back in.
I'm not 100% sure if the lights happened when I plugged it in or unplugged it. Im 99% it happened when plugging it in and I'm 99% sure I hit the wrong pin but don't know which one.

Thanks for ur reply I really hope you can help. I wasent trying to be rude I just know its not a chip problem. And I do appriciate ur guys help!!!

And Im in Northen New Jersey

Last edited:
Well thanks for being more helpful. Like I said I tried the dvd drive on another xbox it worked. With it disconnected I still get 3 red lights..error 0021, Wich is bad flash related but not in this case. it is also south bridge or I believe not enough power going to the gpu.

Its a xbox 360 and I was flashing with 1.51 ixtreme and used jungleflasher. I did not have a connectivity kit and it was a ms28 drive so I had to put it in vendor mode. Thats why I unplugged it for a second and plugged it back in.
I'm not 100% sure if the lights happened when I plugged it in or unplugged it. Im 99% it happened when plugging it in and I'm 99% sure I hit the wrong pin but don't know which one.

Thanks for ur reply I really hope you can help. I wasent trying to be rude I just know its not a chip problem. And I do appriciate ur guys help!!!

Which three LEDs are red?

Torben

[Edit: Scratch that question; you said E0021. I would not suspect the GPU or south bridge problems to be caused by hitting the wrong pin on the DVD connector momentarily. Much more likely would be that you accidentally erased the flash, as Hayato proposed.]

Last edited:
1,2,3 error 0021
0021 This can be caused by two completely different things either:
A. DVD Drive Time out - Can be caused by problems with a firmware flash. This is also speculated to sometime be caused by a problem with the southbridge chipset on the motherboard based on how it connects to the DVD drive.
B. GPU error, generally caused by a poor connection to the mainboard (cold solder joints/bridged solder joints) See error 102 for more information

I have never had a overheating issue. I also did the xclap fix with heatgun just incase. I washoping that was the problem even tho I knew it wasent.

Well your modding will void any chance of a warranty repair. XBOX 360's are notorious for the Red Ring of Death.
**broken link removed**

Nice got a few guys here...:D I know they are bad with these problems but this one is diffrent. I caused this one it wasent overheating

1,2,3 error 0021
0021 This can be caused by two completely different things either:
A. DVD Drive Time out - Can be caused by problems with a firmware flash. This is also speculated to sometime be caused by a problem with the southbridge chipset on the motherboard based on how it connects to the DVD drive.
B. GPU error, generally caused by a poor connection to the mainboard (cold solder joints/bridged solder joints) See error 102 for more information

I have never had a overheating issue. I also did the xclap fix with heatgun just incase. I washoping that was the problem even tho I knew it wasent.

See the edit I made to my last post.

Why are we suddenly talking about overheating? Nobody even mentioned it.

Torben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back