Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

When is a switch a breaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yueshi

I thought I had on my PC, but I could not find it.

It is similar to this. But without the adjustments. And it clearly states that the device does not provide over current protection.Anyway, we have a 1200amp Siemens Sentron switch that is in service. And it has tripped on several occasions. - usually co-insiding with the failure of a large motor on a branch circuit.

My question is, if there is "no current protection" why is it tripping?

My only assumption is that since there is no adjustment available, it is labeled as a switch only.

While in reality, it is tripping in the 1200amp ballpark.

Last edited by a moderator:
Siemens Sentron is a line of circuit breakers. They come in several variations including some with adjustable current ratings. They come in a few frame (voltage) sizes. Some of the settings include using magnetic-only, thermal- magnetic, or electronic breakers, however the entire family is circuit breakers. I don't understand the "switch only" label you mention. However, if the tripping coincides with failure of a large motor on a branch circuit I would assume the motor is either being overloaded or the motor is failing. Look at this data sheet, is one of these what you have? Note the variations. They are examples of the Siemens Sentron family.

To answer your question when is a switch a breaker? Never a switch is a switch and a breaker is a breaker. A breaker should not be used as a switch.

Ron

Last edited:
This is not the same type as switch you are talking about, but it is a breaker switch that has magnetic overload tripping built into it.

As you can see in the photos there is a coil that acts like a relay when the current drawn exceeds the set limit the magnetic field created by the coil windings activates the overload trip via a mechanical lever.

These were from some photos i done to show how to eliminate the overload tripping so the heavy switches could be used with a wind turbine that the oveload part is not required.

Pete.

Attachments

• small 008.jpg
    small 008.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 116
  • 010 small.jpg
    010 small.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 129
I think this post is spam. There was a link in it originally. I saw the link when I went to qoute him. The link was to a computer USB hub for sale. So, if you read it in that context he would be comparing a cheap chinese USB hub to a siemens 1200A mining duty circuit breaker which makes absolutely zero sense.

I think this post is spam. There was a link in it originally. I saw the link when I went to qoute him. The link was to a computer USB hub for sale. So, if you read it in that context he would be comparing a cheap chinese USB hub to a siemens 1200A mining duty circuit breaker which makes absolutely zero sense.

hi,
Thanks, I did moderate out that link.:)

hi,
Thanks, I did moderate out that link.:)
Yes, I see. I was just trying to save any would-be repliers the time of replying, considering the only purpose of the post with link initially was spam, and now without the link it serves zero purpose.

Yes, I see. I was just trying to save any would-be repliers the time of replying, considering the only purpose of the post with link initially was spam, and now without the link it serves zero purpose.

I try to check out links before I approve a thread/post.

As you say, that one was obviously a 'hook', thats why it got deleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back