What type of capacitor are these?

Status
Not open for further replies.

antknee

I can only reliably identify two different types of capacitor, electrolytic and ceramic. I have two other capacitors that I need to identify. Which type are these?

The first is orange and measures on an LCR meter at 0.1uF. It is marked:-

DC 100V
EM7/TSC

The second is deep red and measures on an LCR meter at 47nF. It is marked:-

.047K..
DC 100V
PEE/TSC

Thanks,

Antknee

Attachments

• S6306982.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 692
  • S6306985.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 829

They are clearly marked as they tested 0.1uF (.1K) and 0.047uF (.047K).

I was asking which dielectric they contain.

I think it matters, for cost and application.

They do look like polyester film. Also they are for use in a high frequency board, around 1.6MHz. Polyproylene is often used at these frequencies, I believe, and they look similar too. Hmmm.

Can someone identify this Cap? it's 10uf, I think it is polarity sensitive, but would like to be able to look it up.

Attachments

• IMG_0318.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG_0317.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 404
The value is in pF, the last digit is the number or zeros to append to the preceding digits, 106 = 10,000,000pF = 10μF.

So do I have this photo labeled correctly or NOT?
106 is 10uf
+25 would be the working voltage -or- + lead and 25 volt???
I believe it's an M after the 25 and I can see no other markings.
When I charge it up and measure the voltage with my DVM, the voltage decays slowly if I charge it as marked in photo, If I reverse it, it decays much quicker.
Thanks,
Kinarfi

Attachments

• IMG_0317.JPG
    8.6 KB · Views: 313
Wow, exactly the opposite of aluminum electrolytics. EDIT: Well, radial leads at least. Don't know SMD markings. Why would they do that?

I hate these kinds of things.

Last edited:
That's why you have to be so intelligent to be an electronics designer. Anyone can be a Lawyer but very few can qualify at electronics.

Last edited:
I have never thought that these caps have a polarity !! Thanks colin55.

this is the beauty of Electro Tech ONLINE

Not only is the polarity very important but a tantalum capacitor suffers from a problem of going "short-circuit" if it sees a spike.
This type of capacitor was always going "short" in Luxor TV's. It was a very good "money earner."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…