Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What small electric motor to buy??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh Gunther

Okay to preface all of these, I don't know hardly anything about electronics what so ever. But I am needing to build a small seed treater. basically the design is a 5 gallon bucket on a 45 degree angle that is able to spin around without dumping what is inside. Think about a mini concrete mixer. I think I can figure out my stand and bearings to make it spin. What I am needing help with is what kind of electric motor do a attach to it? It will need the bucket to spin around 20-30 rpm. The bucket itself wont weigh much but it will be holding anywhere from 2-15# of seed at a time. I want an electric motor that I can plug in to a 110V outlet and switch on. I wont need to reverse direction for anything. Any ideas on where to start and where to buy something like this??

Thank you all so much.
Josh

I would do some online searches for a 'Gearmotor' in the RPM range you want and go from there. No point in making it complicated with belts and pulleys if you can go direct drive.

For what you want to do most anything with a 1/2" or larger shaft and 1/10 HP (~80 watts) should be plenty big enough being a properly geared down 1 HP motor will easily drive a 4 cubic foot cement mixer that tops 600 pounds drum weight at ~20 RPM. ;)

i am not great on motors but the simple "AC Motor" type thing sounds simplest. You can even control them speedwise by on/offing the mains with a Triac if you want....its not good theoretically but it works and some electric showers do the water pumping like that.
Its actually called an "AC Motor"...i think its kind of a simple variant of an induction motor.

Although a simple 1ph induction motor might be the answer, there is not that many that come with attached gearbox,
One solution would be one of the DC motor such as Bodine and others that make a 90v DC motors with attached G.B.
All you would need is add a simple bridge rectifier to control off of AC outlet.
They usually come up on ebay regularly.
Max.

I would look for a barbecue rotisserie motor for this task. It will turn about the right speed for your application. Most of these have a hole for a square rod which could be attached to the bucket pretty easily.

Hi Josh, google parvalux motor, they come in various gearbox options and 110v, and are not that expensive.
If you want a redneck solution for peanuts how about a car wiper motor powered by a battery charger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back