Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the science behind the automatic garage door opener?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcintoshmc

I have an idea for a business opportunity. I have a remote that opens the gate to my apartment complex and newer cars these days have that same function installed by the lights so you don't have to use the remote. What is the science behind this? I want to learn how to make these devices, but in a different way.

If anyone can list the components needed to create one that would be nice. Also, does it use infrared?

I have not seen these devices but I suppose it is an infrared transmitter that is requesting to open the door. Then the door is closing automatically.

Ioannis

I have not seen these devices but I suppose it is an infrared transmitter that is requesting to open the door. Then the door is closing automatically.

Ioannis

you've never seen a garage door opener remote? I find that kind of hard to belive.

I have an idea for a business opportunity. I have a remote that opens the gate to my apartment complex and newer cars these days have that same function installed by the lights so you don't have to use the remote. What is the science behind this? I want to learn how to make these devices, but in a different way.

If anyone can list the components needed to create one that would be nice. Also, does it use infrared?

You have a remote, that uses lights so you don't need a remote...Umm what? Can you restate your question more clearly so it makes more sense.

What, still no decoder ring :)

Some are blessed with the Holy grail of the mystical orb contained within the Secret decoder ring. I have accepted the fact that I must trudge along in life with simple mere mortal powers and try to deduce what is being asked. What we have here is a trial by error post. Perhaps if i gain enough Karma, the powers to be will bring me to Nirvana and the key to the ring will be found.

The secret decoder ring is highly overrated. I ran OP's post through Little Orphan Annie's secret decoder ring, the Tom Corbet Space Cadet decoder ring, AND the Ovaltine decoder ring - I still can't figure out what he wants.
**broken link removed**

I think he wants a universal garage door opener like the ones built into newer cars. But of course he wants to know the science behind it!:p

Ya, some new cars have those RF remote buttons that will work with certain garage door openers and supposedly other things like household lights, if you have the interface setup. By lights, I think he means the light switch, or possibly the overhead lights, because I've seen the buttons on the visor.

I think it's called HomeLink.

The technology is only 10% of the problem. How do you intend to market this device against entrenched competitors? Perhaps the empty suit approach might work. Maybe if you claimed it was an overunity device you could garner some attention.

Last edited:
The technology is only 10% of the problem. How do you intend to market this device against entrenched competitors? Perhaps the empty suit approach might work. Maybe if you claimed it was an overunity device you could garner some attention.

He said he had an idea to use this device "in a different way". So, you have to assume, he's not just making the same thing and trying to sell it as is.

what? seriously, what?

I have an idea for a business opportunity. .......

so you want to make the money and want a list of components ? erm if someone has a "list" of components that presuposes they also have the circuit diagram for ehat you want to build.... am i reading this right or....???

Maybe you are talking about RFID technology.
What is RFID?

I still really like that site. I didn't know that my Fender Guitar has a freaking RFID.:p

These things are really used just about everywhere. I should have continued to read more on them I stopped when I got thru What and How.

Now that I know it's got the tag I think I should call ( Fender ) to get the tag Updated. With my info.

kv

I gave the decoder ring to my Babel fish and here's what he came up with:

Babel fish said:
OP wants a universal garage door opener DETECTOR, so that when ANYONE approaches the gate and pushes ANY garage door opener button that sends out ANY code, the gate opens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back