Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is the best pcb software for 1 layer boards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBKA

Hi,

I am finally ready to design my custom 1 layer board. What software would you suggest me to use? I looked at Eagle, but it seems that the don't have the "search part" option, so it makes it very inconvenient to use.

I also looked at Proteus Ares, but the auto-router could not produce 1 layer, although it was obvious from the result that one layer is possible.

Could you please advice me a good software (easy to use) that will help me to design 1 layer pcb?

Thank You,

Vlad.

i use niche pcb designer(perfect for beginner very basic)

you can use diptrace, very nice tool

i am useing pcb wizard. it works pretty good. i made a lot of my own components. and i have been doing my own routing also even though it has autorout. the auto rout does the best it can then puts jumpers all over the place. i would rather just do it myself and jump where i want. this is the only software i have ever used so i really can't say how good it is. but it does what i need it to do for now

If you intend to share your work or want to do 2 sided boards some time I suggest you take another look at Eagle.

There is a search box in the library window.

If you can not find a part you can always build it.

Eagle is the only free tool mentioned so far that has schematic capture. That is important.

Last edited:
Dont laugh but I use Corel Draw :eek:

I've got Eagle and its great for the schematics but I find that for home PCB making and tiling boards I always seem to revert back to Corel to make the boards manually.

My latest set of boards designed by hand were 20% smaller than the ones produced by Eagle, had thicker pads and traces (great for home drilling !!!) and took me less time to design manually than on Eagle.

I use AutoCAD - have done for years.
I built my own set of library parts (schematic and pcb) and have settled on a trace width that produces pewrfectly consistent results in my pcb production technique.

Yes there are jumpers, but not as many as one would think.

I designed the pcb for my Blueroom Inchworm Plus, ended up with a squarish board about 80mm per side and only 5 jumpers. It worked first time!

I used to design manually - on a drawing board with pen and ink. 4 times full size, then photo-reduce and make a transparency.

I guess that's why I use AutoCAD - the techniques are almost the same as manual layout, except I work full size and ink-jet the transparency.
Works for me.

I really, really like EasyPC, from http://www.numberone.com . It's definitely the best layout package I've ever used ("IMO" of course). I think it's much easier to learn and use than Eagle, and just a lot better, in many ways.

By the way, I wouldn't recommend using anyone's autorouter, except "maybe" for a repetitive type of digital layout. Hand routing seems to be basically always superior.

Just in case, here's a list of lots of links to EDA packages:

**broken link removed**

And once you get your layout finished, try running it through the freeDFM utility, at http://www.4pcb.com . It's pretty cool.

Good luck!

Tom Gootee

**broken link removed**

-

Suraj143 said:
I use PAD2PAD its free.
Same I use Pad2PAd.

But most of my circuits I'm making in VERO BOARDS (Track ones).

If you solder nicely and in a proper order it will looks like an original Circuit Board.No need PCB's.

But for commercial purpose you need that Tiredly built PCB's. :D

After reading a few posts I think we need to know what do you mean by best.

For many of us best is what we are using because we know how to use it.

If you just need to layout one board and will never do another then simple is best.

If you intend to make this a hobby or profession then go with the most capable package you can afford because once you are used to using any package you will stick with it. Or at least find it painful to switch.

3v0 is absolutely right. I build a lot of stuff, and am stuck in the semi-manual method simply because I battle to come to grips with the methodology of the PCB packages and the fact that they don't lay out the boards the way I like them.

That sadi .... I'm happy with the layouts I produce. They look professional, usually work first time and, because of the 'manual' experience that I mentioned I have, don't take too long to produce at all.

And .... it's fun, challenging and very satisfying. And that's the crux of the whole thing. Enjoy your hobby!

PCB design.......

BOBKA said:
Hi,

I am finally ready to design my custom 1 layer board. What software would you suggest me to use? I looked at Eagle, but it seems that the don't have the "search part" option, so it makes it very inconvenient to use.

I also looked at Proteus Ares, but the auto-router could not produce 1 layer, although it was obvious from the result that one layer is possible.

Could you please advice me a good software (easy to use) that will help me to design 1 layer pcb?

Thank You,

Vlad.

Like most, I tried many (about four or five, I don't remember) before I settled on ExpressPCB. The learning was most intuitive. And they answered my emails when I had some questions. I had not read the instructions to carefully. The service I got when ordering a few boards was outstanding, only three days.
Edit:
It's Component Manager has a "Find" function so that you can easily locate the proper component.
If you need a component that is not available, then you can take a similar component and modify it to your liking and save it in your Custom component library. Pretty neat stuff, for a free program. Wish posters would stipulate the cost of their recommended choices.
Much easier than Eagle, IMHO.
Sample, single sided board: https://www.pbase.com/sinoline/image/73734600.jpg

Last edited:
I am planning to make it as my hobby. By best I meant a package that will be easy to use for the beginner and at the same time useful and practical in the long run.

I still can't find the search dialog in Eagle (4.16r).

I guess I will use Eagle, but where is the search dialog there?

Think of this as a preemptive post.

You will need to etch your board.
There have been many posts on that subject here.
I like the toner transfer others use photo sensitized boards.
Both work very well if done right.
Search the fourms. I suggest the following keys
etch photo "toner transfer"

Yeah, that's how it all started: I saw how to make pcb using a laser printer. I bought the aluminum board and the ferric chloride. I drawn the ckt schematic on a sheet of paper, but now I have to do the schematics on the computer and then the layout for it :)

BOBKA said:
Yeah, that's how it all started: I saw how to make pcb using a laser printer. I bought the aluminum board and the ferric chloride. I drawn the ckt schematic on a sheet of paper, but now I have to do the schematics on the computer and then the layout for it :)

Aluminum board ?

Once I got past the hassle of finding the right parts I started to enjoy laying out boards.

This has been mentioned elsewhere: A pair of calipers is handy to measure parts. If I have a doubt about any given part I print the layout and place the parts on the paper to check the fit.

No, not aluminum, copper.

BTW, some questions about Eagle:
1. When choosing a resistor, which one should I choose? I am using 1/4 W ones.
2. When choosing a capacitor, which one should I choose? I am using ceramic caps.

The components I buy they are from local stores, and those are not labeled appropriately as the symbols in Eagle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back