Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is the best pcb software for 1 layer boards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the part I was talking about getting past.

First you have your choice of US or EU/UK symbols. I use the US ones. If you click on a part it will show you info about on the right side of the window. The key is matching the size of your parts to the part you pick. This is where the caliper can come in handy.

For 1/4 watts I use the following from lib RCL

Device .............Package Description
R-US_0207/10 0207/10 RESISTOR, American symbol

For caps you need to know the spacing between the leads.

For bypass and crystal caps I use
C-US025-024X044 C025-024X044 CAPACITOR, American symbol

For the electrolytic caps that go with a MAX232 I use
CPOL-USE2.5-5 E2,5-5 POLARIZED CAPACITOR, American symbol

In the long term you need to learn to hunt/navigate the parts libs and make your own when you can not find what you need.

EDIT:
Find an eagle schematic on the net and load it into Eagle. Then from the schematic editor in the text box type "RUN BOM". This will generate a Bill Of Materials. A list of every device used in the circuit. It may be eduction maybe fun. If a part exists on the schematic that you need but have no lib for you can copy the part and paste it into your schematic.

Last edited:
Just to add a bit to the excellent advice you already received in this thread,

Something that works very well is to keep a caliper or fine measuring tool handy, as stated, but you can also measure the length of simple rcl components to figure out which part to use. Printing out a copy of your board, then placing parts on the printout will give you a good idea of how the parts fit, not just on their pads/holes, but also how they relate to each other, and the edges of the board, etc.

As with anything in life, be patient with yourself, and expect your boards to improve as you do more of them. If I remember, my first board looked really good when it finished etching; I proceeded to ruin it when I drilled it. :)

Just for completeness, SparkFun has their library for Eagle with some useful components, here is the link:
**broken link removed**

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back