Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What Components do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a good example of opinion ....

In my case, I rarely use IC sockets. After my circuit's been breadboarded and proven, I commit to a PCB and solder the ICs directly in. Sockets and connectors are nothing but intermittents waiting to happen. That's why all the major players (Tektronix, Agilent, etc.) quit using sockets decades ago. When I worked for Tek, intermittents were the Number One source of problems, especially for warranty work. Around 1982, any new designs from Tek eliminated as many sockets and connectors as possible and problems went 'way down.

I'll still use sockets for expensive ICs or firmware -- EPROMs that frequently get upgraded.

Dean

In my opinion i wouldnt use sockets if the item left my possession as in being sold. But if its on a prototype board like testing a product before its made in quantities of 2+. Mainly because i can always save and backup the code and reuse the same pic on another project this way i can test without have to waste many pics.

If i had to recheck a design i would simply reprogram the chip and try again. Hence i make sure i appreciate the program/erase limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back