Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What are these new numbers on resistors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And if you want to go real old nomeclature, does anyone remember micromicrofarads? uuF = pF?
even worse, some early schematics use mmF instead of uuF, and mF for microfarads. as i remember, the "clarified" notation (such as 4R7 or 3K3) went into use in the 70s. it did seem to help make things easier to read, especially on xerox copies of schematics (and the flood of documents being photocopied in the 1970s probably accounts for it being adopted). it's now even being applied to power rails and zener voltages in schematics (3V3, 5V1, etc...).

Also, if I recall correctly, Gigahertz radio frequencies were expressed by its wavelength in centimeters or millimeter

I think the Radar guys still use mm nomenclature instead of GHz - much easier when discussing antennas, radome thickness, etc. Most important when discussing wavelength is to be clear about wavelength in vacuum, air or a specific material.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back