Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What are amps, watts, volts and ohms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paprika

Lol, I know that topic line screams N00BIE!! but no actually I know about this stuff but I nedd to get a better grasp on it. I've neen to a few sites which try to describe and explain what amps, watts, volts and ohms are but the best I could find was the explantion was on howstuffworks, and how they explained it had allot of intellectiual and logical holes in it so I think its best if I just asked you guys for your interpretations on these meanings, how do you view them in your head. Please, no examples to do with water :roll: . I really appreciate it.

Thanks

I could find was the explantion was on howstuffworks, and how they explained it had allot of intellectiual and logical holes in it so I think its best if I just asked you guys for your interpretations on these meanings
Hi bogdanfirst, I think you haven't read his post properly. He is not satisfied with what "howstuffworks" has to say. He want more detals.

Hi Paprika,

AMPS is flow,
fifty zillion electrons per second.

WATTS is power,
use more power you'll drain that battery faster.

VOLTS is pressure,
too much will burst through the insulation.

OHMS is a measure of how hard it is to
push those electrons through that bit,
(more pressure ....means .... more flow!)

I made up a way of remembering the relationship
between current(I), volts(V) and resistance(Ohms),
others have told me that they have never forgot
it or got it wrong since i told them this way.

You know there are three symbols,
but you've got to get them in the right places
for it to work properly,

You know the = sign goes in the middle,

The memonic i made up goes like this:
**broken link removed**
trouble downloading attachment

Sorry about that Paprika,
I will repeat this post in the
electronics projects an circuits forum,
where i think an attachment is no problem.

Cheers, John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back