Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Weller soldering iron WD40 disassembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

smilem

Hi, I have weller soldering station WHS 40, and would like to request soldering iron WD 40 disassembly instructions.

Iron photo **broken link removed**

The problem is that the black plastic part on my soldering iron is a bit loose and I would like to remove it to see what is wrong. The user manual does not have any instructions on how to remove it.

Thanks.

Call or Email 'em

I have had incredible success contacting Weller directly for repair info. As a matter of fact, I sent a 10 year old variable temperature soldering pencil off to weller for a quote for repair, and they repaired it, and sent it back to me at no charge.

Well there is no authorized weller service center in my country, so it would take it long to ship it to another country etc.

I don't mind doing it if it were a major problem with the station or smth, but it's just that the black plastic thing on the iron itself is a bit loose and moves up down and rotates. Tried to remove it but don't want to brake anything.

How do I remove it?

Weller support does not respond to my email so not so great support either.

Last edited:
Here is photo of my problem:

**broken link removed**

Since I don't know how to remove it I had to wrap a copper wire in the gap. This makes it bearable to work with. This IS WD40 18V 40W Weller iron. 2 Weeks old I might add. Isn't weller suppose to be durable and build to last? My irons made in china a better build quality :/

Last edited:
Hi, I have weller soldering station WHS 40, and would like to request soldering iron WD 40 disassembly instructions.

Iron photo **broken link removed**

The problem is that the black plastic part on my soldering iron is a bit loose and I would like to remove it to see what is wrong. The user manual does not have any instructions on how to remove it.

Thanks.

Try gently twisting it clockwise. Also, hope you used some anti-seize on the tip when you put it together.

Try gently twisting it clockwise. Also, hope you used some anti-seize on the tip when you put it together.

I can't twist it, I'll post a photo of how it looks like.
**broken link removed**

What is "anti-seize"? The tip was allready in place I did not had to put in. Tips cost 6$ where I live. That is very expensive for a piece of copper or brass. And if you try to de- solder anything you will damage the tip.

I'm looking forward to buy 3.5mm copper wire instead and got it electroplated by nickel and iron. That should be 5x cheaper than to buy the tips from weller. If I'll be sucessfull in outsourcing parts and services.

Last edited:
**broken link removed**

What is "anti-seize"? The tip was allready in place I did not had to put in. Tips cost 6$ where I live. That is very expensive for a piece of copper or brass. And if you try to de- solder anything you will damage the tip.

I'm looking forward to buy 3.5mm copper wire instead and got it electroplated by nickel and iron. That should be 5x cheaper than to buy the tips from weller. If I'll be sucessfull in outsourcing parts and services.

Even if you can take it apart it might not solve the problem. I would try to put some high temperature glue like silicone at some strategic points.
Weller's high priced tips are worth every penny as far as I am concerned. Well taken care of they will last for years.

**broken link removed**

Anti-seize is a compound that you put on the threads of the tip that screws in. It keeps the tip from welding to the metal holder base. Makes it much easier to replace tips.

**broken link removed**

Try calling or e-mailing Weller. I agree, it's new, and you shouldn't be having problems like this.

In their defense, I used Weller soldering stations for more than 30 years. Never had a problem.

"high temperature glue like silicone" might be a good sollution but if I need to replace the power cord cometime in the future it will a pain to disassemble.

I had to wrap a copper wire in the gap. This makes it unable to move and just rotates around a bit. I then added Thermal wire insulation at the gap and it while soldering is very steady and does not move.

There is no heat at the gap any glue would work.

"high temperature glue like silicone" might be a good sollution but if I need to replace the power cord cometime in the future it will a pain to disassemble.

I had to wrap a copper wire in the gap. This makes it unable to move and just rotates around a bit. I then added Thermal wire insulation at the gap and it while soldering is very steady and does not move.

A shame that you had to resort to "rigging" an essentially new soldering iron. I think you ought to write Weller a letter. They might send you out a new unit, or replacement part.

A shame that you had to resort to "rigging" an essentially new soldering iron. I think you ought to write Weller a letter. They might send you out a new unit, or replacement part.

Seeing as he (and you) don't have your location filled in, I would suggest it's most probably a complete waste of time because he's likely to be somewhere 'unhelpful' (or why didn't he just take it back to where he bought it?).

I found myself needing a new iron this very week, and based on your troubles, I decided to go with the Ungar. Got a pretty good deal online.

I've been told by a friend that since Weller was sold to Cooper, their quality control has slipped. But according to him, it might be worth it to send them another e-mail:

Cooper Hand Tools

What could it hurt?

Good luck!

I found myself needing a new iron this very week, and based on your troubles, I decided to go with the Ungar. Got a pretty good deal online.

Where? Could you please give me the URL?

I've been told by a friend that since Weller was sold to Cooper, their quality control has slipped.

The last I heard of Ungar, they were bought by Weller years ago. Searching for Ungar on the internet is futile.

Last edited:

The last I heard of Ungar, they were bought by Weller years ago. Searching for Ungar on the internet is futile.

Bob,

My mistake. I thought it was an Ungar, but it was actually a Vellerman:

**broken link removed**

Their URL: **broken link removed**

Looks like they have some good stuff, but before you order, I'm having a problem. I placed this order days ago, and it still hasn't shipped. I've sent 2 e-mails: no response.

If I don't get an answer today, I'm calling Visa, and I'll be on the lookout for another iron/station.

Bob,

See you're from Canada. I was born & raised in Hockeytown, Michigan, although I currently live a bit south of there. Finally got around to filling out some info on myself in the profile part of this site (although it asked some odd questions).

It could very well be Vancouver vs Detroit in the SCP. You guys better get Roberto and them Sedin twins ready, the Big Red Machine is comin!

Last edited:
Bob,

See you're from Canada. I was born & raised in Hockeytown, Michigan, although I currently live a bit south of there. Finally got around to filling out some info on myself in the profile part of this site (although it asked some odd questions).

Well pretty pointless putting 'Earth' as your location, USA might be helpful - but Earth is just stupid..

Just called Omni... got a real person. She apologized for their not getting back to me, and told me my order was shipping today (she'd expidite it: they ship to Earth everyday).

Never used a Vellerman. This is probably their cheapest model, but it is a station, and for that price, that's not bad.

Too bad about Ungar. I've got an old iron of theirs that still works, but the shaft is cracking from years of heat. Guess I'll have to throw it away soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back