Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Welcome to our new forums...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I found this forum and like it very well, everyone seems to be willing to help and it is good to see that. Hope I can share some of knowledge with you all.

Howdy

Hello all,

I'm just getting back into electronics. I used to be pretty good, but its been a while and now I've forgotten what little I knew.

Hope the site takes off, its very nice.

tis a nice site

im hoping over time to try out a few of the electronics schematics here and also post a few of my own.

Bump!

Just found this thread.

I wonder how this place became so successful.

Was there another forum before thise one?

Someone on another forum (Dazza of Electronics Lab) has created his own forum which I'm helping to administrate but so far we've not been able to get a steady stream of posts.

Last edited:
You need to build a core of good people who hang around to help others. If you look at the active membership here that core is easy to ID.

An important one is not driving people away. Back in the days of mailing lists more then one list went from great to dead because people used it for their hurtful entertainment. It is a slippery slope. would you like fries..

Then there is content and reputation, both build over time.

3v0

Bump!

Just found this thread.

It's funny how the first post was in 2000 and the second was in 2002.

I wonder how this place became so successful.

There were lots of forums before this one. I was posting on the usenet electronics forum back in the 1980's. Before it turned into some insane anti-evolutionist diatribe by religious nutters, before the perpetual motion cranks and the flame wars ruined it.

But this is a very good one, certainly.

Last edited:
[mod]removed due to advertising[/mod]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Just started this forum in January after looking at some others. This one is very active with lots of good info. I have never done electronics professionally, just as a hobby, and have been lucky enough to know some really good engineer types.

Hi hero999,

here is my impression of that site:

I guess I'm not alone thinking a bench supply is one of the most important devices an electronic freak needs to work with.

My philosophy about impressions concerning acquaintances is the initial impression which more or less earmarks a person and is ones primary factor of like or dislike.

I like the idea of the Bipolar Power Supply, but I don't like it's presentation. There is a picture (could have been drawn by my neighbor's three year old daughter) all blurred, and being unalble to zoom into the schematic you will certainly agree that it seems pretty useless.

OK for a general overlook, but not OK for any enthusiast to try building it. So why not add a clear drawing like a PDF file?

Talking about schematics it is very important in my opinion to label nets to a great extend to make the schematic readable even to newcomers.

I once studied the schematics of a japanese EE who introduced a frequency counter to 2.4GHz. There was no missing or misleading information throughout the seven pages of the project.

For comparison: I also studied the schematic of a 500VA-inverter published by a German electronic magazine. Not only it was full of net errors (which are unlikely to happen if nets are labelled), but there were 10pin connectors on the PCB which didn't appear in the schematic. To build such a design it requires not only skill, but also some kind of reverse engineering.

Kind regards

Hans

I like the idea of the Bipolar Power Supply, but I don't like it's presentation. There is a picture (could have been drawn by my neighbor's three year old daughter) all blurred, and being unalble to zoom into the schematic you will certainly agree that it seems pretty useless.
If you right click an choose View Image you can see the schematic. Well, you can in FireFox anyway. But I agree, there needs to be an obvious full screen link or the option to left click on the image to enlarge it.
Making a useful and user friendly website is a lot more difficult than it looks. ;)

i thing this forum is the best in the website

thanks for all membrs of this forum

This forum is the best thing that happened to me as far as my Electronics degree is conecerned. People are very nice and helpful. To say the truth i learned more on this forum then in my 3 years(and in to the 4rth) of my Bachelors. Great work Electro!

Yes, it was mentioned in the original post, the forum was run on different software before moving to vBulletin. I think it was PHPBB or something like that.
Does anyone know what happened to the original forum and if there's an archive anywhere?

I designed that project but don't worry I'm not offended, I welcome comments like this.:D

OK for a general overlook, but not OK for any enthusiast to try building it. So why not add a clear drawing like a PDF file?
There is a nice and clear PDF version but finding it isn't easy.
Bipolar Power Supply

Another member on the forum suggested improvements and I made them but the project on the site still needs updating. The trouble is I'm only a VIP+++ (one step about a super-moderator) so I don't have the privileges to upload files there. I can edit some of the pages but I need to use an external hosting site. I'll contact the main administrator but he's busy at the moment dealing with the tropical storms (he lives in northern Australia).

Ther'es also another project, audioguru's FM transmitter, see the RF section.
projects

I think we need to make the projects section more obvious because it's the only thing that will encourage people to post. No one's going to join an empty inactive forum without anything prompting them to. I think if I can fill it with interesting and exciting projects then nubes will start asking questions and people like audioguru will start answering them which will attract more people.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back