Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

weird disconnection problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyper.real

Hello! I connect to the internet using a adsl+2 wifi modem. I have connected two personal computers to the modem, one is wired and one is wirelessly connected to the modem. I am facing disconnection problems for the past few weeks and it is a weird one. I have no problem in browsing websites, watching videos online, connecting to instant messengers, downloading stuff but have problem only with online chat rooms.

connection to the chat rooms drops once every 30-45 mins and I have to reconnect to the chat. and this happens in many many chat rooms. the local tech at my ISP too has no clue as to why this problem occurs.

Anyone please help?:confused:

Clever PC :)

It obviously accumulates the time you are wasting while chatting and disconnects for serious work. :D

:( I know I might be addicted to web chats. but coming back to the problem, any clue why the disconnection occurs, or I get dropped from many chat rooms?

I've participated in some chat rooms as well some time ago. The same thing happened to me every once in a while.

It's a guess, but I think the servers get overloaded and "forget" about one or another chatter.

On the other hand I think chatting is worse than small talk. Chatters usually talk a lot without saying anything - just wasting time (which is money according to my knowledge and experience).

Even the forum chat doesn't give me any satisfaction. (It's just "Rhabarber")

The reason is easy: Two members of the round get into a dialog others don't have a clue what those both are talking about and leave - one after another - frustrated.

Two people might communicate pretty well. If they get more they should consider making it a singers group like the Ray Conniff singers. They didn't talk for a good reason.

Boncuk

Well, for the first time in ages I had to log in. Something broke.

Mike.

You can't stay permanently connected to a forum like this, the cookie system used has a maximum connected time (which is a LOT), but you have to reconnect once a year or so.

Well, I do stay permanently connected on many others. Are you saying that this will happen every year? It didn't last year. How come many posters are having this problem at the same time. Guess they must have all joined on the same day. I call ********.

Mike.

Well, I do stay permanently connected on many others. Are you saying that this will happen every year? It didn't last year. How come many posters are having this problem at the same time. Guess they must have all joined on the same day. I call ********.

I haven't had to reconnect on here recently, but I certainly have to periodically - and 'possibly' yearly.

One of the install options on PHPBB allows you to specify the timeout delay, but doesn't allow a permanent connection - I always set it to the maximum.

I don't know what the situation on this software is though?.

I've just checked on PHPBB, and there's a setting:

Code:
Automatic login key expiry 
How long a autologin key is valid for in days if the user does not visit the board. Set to zero to disable expiry.

However, mine's set to zero, and still just required me to log in :D

I'm sure there's something about cookies expiring?, is it perhaps a setting on our PC's?.

Last edited:
Just had to log in again!!

Mike.

I ran into a similar problem a few months back, I had to re login each time I visited the site. I reported it to Electromaster and he kindly corrected the problem. It was some sort of database problem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back