Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Photoshop CS5 Unexpected end of file problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonyaliter

Hi, I've got a HUUGE problem!

As I was saving a file yesterday the computer froze and when I tried opening the file again it failed due to an "unexpected end of file".

Now I know the problem with this is that the head and foot of the source code didn't save as it should've, but is there ANY way to salvage the information? I don't have to save ALL of the file but if at least SOME of the layers could be saved I'd be more than thrilled!

One thing that really bugs me about all this is also that when I try to open the file in Photoshop I can see a preview of the image as it was when I left it, but I can't open it! *Weep*

Does any of you know of a way to help me with this problem?

The following are a few points that can help you prevent corrupted photoshop files:
1.Work on a local Hard Drive: The main cause of the “Unexpected end of file” error is the fact that Photoshop fails to save the header and footer information of the file, sometimes due to loss of connection. This can occur if you are working on a network server and lose connection, or if the connection between your computer and the hard drive was severed halfway through the saving process, either by restarting your computer or by disconnecting the drive. Save all your files on your machine’s local drive, and then copy it to your server or hard drive once completed.
2.Save several versions: When you make changes to files, version your files, and save several versions. This can not only help you keep track of changes between versions, but also let you go back to a non-corrupted version of the file.
3.Don’t put all your eggs in one basket: If you are working on a multi-page document (like a website), or if you have a file with different versions (languages, colors, etc), don’t save them all in one file. Cluster the versions in some way, or keep them all separate. It is better to have 20 PSD files, than to lose 20 versions of a job in one swoop.
**broken link removed**
4.Always save a flat preview file: This may seem as an obvious thing, especially if you are sending a proof, but some people forget to do this. This can at least help you in re-creating the file if it gets corrupted.
5.Run daily backups: Although sometimes this doesn’t help because you save the corrupted version along with the backup, but if you use something like Time Machine, you might be able to go back in time and recover an earlier version of the file.
6.Give yourself some wiggle room: Never let your hard drive get too full. Do you really need that file from 2005? Backup to removable storage and never let your hard drive get at 85 to 90% capacity. Remember Photoshop uses drive space as scratch memory, plus the space needed to save your file.
http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/is-there-anyway-of-retrieving-unsaved-photoshop-work/185861

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back