Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Website violates the w3c standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with not validating is that the internet is supposed to eventually migrate to pure XML, which has no error tolerence. XHTML 1.0 was written to be XML but backwards compatible with HTML; if it has errors then it is not XML, and thus if/when Microsoft internet explorer (the only major web browser which does not yet support XHTML served as XML) does add support for XHTML served as XML you will have to fix the errors before you can enjoy the benefits of XML.

Here is a website which is coded in XHTML 1.1 and served as pure XML **broken link removed** - notice it works in every web browser except Microsoft internet explorer.

Last edited:
wow, a few errors! The layout/style is rather old now and does need to be updated..

What are the effects of not validating? The site seems to look good in all browsers...

Looks like the site might be closed down by the compliance police :)

Last edited:
Here is a website which is coded in XHTML 1.1 and served as pure XML **broken link removed** - notice it works in every web browser except Microsoft internet explorer.

So what's the point of creating a website that the most popular browser there is can't see?.

It's obviously a really bad piece of design, limiting it's use so drastically.

Microsoft believes that it is The standard, and everybody should pay them to be compatible. I've hated everything MS, since DOS was replaced. Put off using Windows, until I could get DOS versions of the software I wanted to use. IE has always been a bad thing, seemed to need a lot of security updates, which really slows down a dial-up connection. Pretty sure it's the reason for a lot of malicious crap getting onto my computer. Anybody ever successfully removed IE from their Windows computer? I've tried so many time on my XP, and it would still pop up occasionally. Haven't tried on the Vista, but kind need it, since the Merrill Lynch website (401k retirement fund), only seems let me in with IE. Yeah, a year later, I'm still more than $3k short of where I was before the big crash last summer...

HarveyH42 said:
... I'm still more than $3k short of where I was before the big crash last summer...
Thats why I have an IRA with my bank. I didn't want my 401K to become a "404 Not Found"

And I'd rather get poked in the eye with a sharp stick than use IE...

Jeff

I don't understand what you mean. If it's advice for adding my location to my website then yeah that's a good idea, thanks. It's UK BTW.

hi,
It was just that.
You 'priced' in dollars on the site.:)

hi,
It was just that.
You 'priced' in dollars on the site.:)
Yeah, dollars is the most commonly used currency on the internet and it's easy to accept them with paypal. BTW any other advice for improving my website would be very much appreciated, as long as it doesn't involve converting it to deprecated code to make it work in microsoft web browsers.

Last edited:
Yeah, dollars is the most commonly used currency on the internet and it's easy to accept them with paypal. BTW any other advice for improving my website would be very much appreciated, as long as it doesn't involve converting it to deprecated code to make it work in microsoft web browsers.

So from what you've said, you're obviously trying to create a website to make you money, yet you deliberately make it inaccessible to the biggest part of the internet users?.

Do you perhaps see how stupid that is?.

So from what you've said, you're obviously trying to create a website to make you money, yet you deliberately make it inaccessible to the biggest part of the internet users?.

Do you perhaps see how stupid that is?.

I wrote my website according to the W3 standards and it doesn't work in Internet Explorer. The bug is in Internet Explorer not my website.

Last edited:
I wrote my website according to the W3 standards and it doesn't work in Internet Explorer. The bug is in Internet Explorer not my website.

I would disagree - as would the millions of potential customers you no longer have.

Writing a website to use a specific browser or browsers of any type is completely stupid, why not write it so it works in ALL browsers - as every sensible site does. Trying to run a commercial site whilst deliberately banning most of your potential audience is absolutely beyond belief.

Type my website's address into this page: The W3C Markup Validation Service - You will see that my website passes validation with no errors and is therefore a correctly coded website.

Type this address into Internet Explorer: http://acid3.acidtests.org/ - You will see that Internet Explorer fails spectacularly with a far lower grade than almost any other web browser.

And so if you think the bug is in my website and not in Internet Explorer you should take it up with the W3C and the Web Standards Project, not me.

Last edited:
Nigel's point is that your moral stand is hurting your business by limiting it's accessibility in the real world. Doing the right thing costs money. You've already modified your usual behaviour by advertising prices in a non-native currency, because of the real world market. The same logic would dictate that you accomodate [as opposed to support] all the most commonly used browsers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back