Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

weak/strong pull-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphacat

Hey guys,

I oftenly hear the terms weak pull-up and strong pull-up resistors.
Could you please give me an example when a strong pull-up is needed, and when a weak pull-up is enough?

Thanks for any help.

Weak pullups are often fine for digital inputs, such as a switch a user might push. A strong pull-up may be needed on something like an I2C bus. If there is a fair amount of capacitance on the line, the pullups may take a long time to pull the line back to a logic HIGH which would limit the maximum bus speed. By increasing the strength of the pullup, the bus is pulled up quicker, and the speed can be increased.

As a very fat thumbed rule of thumb, I start with a 10k pullup and work from there. In battery powered applications I'll try to go up to 100k or more if I can get away with it, and in bus communications I've gone to a couple hundred ohms. Cell phones use pullups in the mega-ohm range.

Lets take the PIC18F1320 for example. in the datasheet on page 252 you will see all the info you need.

if using a 10k resistor on 5v thats a pull up of 0.0005mA aka 500uA

For the 1320:
PORTB weak pull-up current : 50-400uA

so if you need to make a week pull up for that you have to :

5v / 400uA = 5 / .0004 = 12500 = 12.5k Ohm resistor.

so a 12.5kohm resistor will give you the 400uA to make a Week Pullup.

When you use an EEPROM or a temperature sensor on a 1-wire bus, you need a weak pull-up when the processor is talking to the sensor, but a strong pull-up when the 1-wire device is drawing power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back