Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

WAV/MP3 Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMUGangsta

Hi, first off thanks to everyone who helped me with my last question on this.

The outcome was: It was possible to play WAV data via a reasonably High End PIC, reading data from a SD/MMC Card - but it wouldnt leave much time for anything else.

So the next question (and for a different project - but the reply may influence the last one)

Ive been looking at the ST range of hardware decoders ST013? etc and it looks good, but are there any chips out there that can entirly handle my MP3 requirements.

What im thinking is a chip that connects directly to a memory chip (XD,SD,MMC,CF,etc - i dont care really as long as I can get a 4Gb card for it! = even a 4Gb non volotile chip directly mounted on the board would be fine)

and handles all the audio itself, with an SPI or I2C connection to a µP to tell it what to do,

for example to play a track, the only thing the PIC would do is send a 'load file' command, and then a 'play' command, the audio chip would then take over and mabey generate an interrupt when its done - but would immediatly return control to my PIC when the music starts.

Another possibility would be some kind of kit or module that someone has made - anyone heard of such a thing.

If they dont exist, then I guess ill have to build one, using a PIC for audio control and MMC etc, and another PIC for my control application.

On a side note - has anyone ever butchered one of them cheapo MP3 players to a level where they could select a song by interfacing with it.

If I cant figure this out im gonna have to buy an i-pod :eek: and id really rather not, as its an expensive piece of cheap plastic which is over hyped and over marketed :mad:

Just found this - its the Daisy MP3 Module from MAKE magazine, has anyone used one of these?

It has a serial interface, as well as a few other interfaces too.

Daisy main page

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back