Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

water level controller queries .

Status
Not open for further replies.

magnatro

Hi
i am buiding a water level and pump controller for my flat. i have done the program in arduino and tested using proteus. but my problems are..
1. what is the safe operating range of the motor of 1.5 hp @ 230 AC.?
2. how to build a decent looking and functioning probe.?
3. what is the rating for a relay that is used for turning the pump on/off.?

1. what is the safe operating range of the motor of 1.5 hp @ 230 AC.?
Rang of what ? pressher? tempitcher? current?
2. how to build a decent looking and functioning probe.?
Probe for what? a tank? a pool? inside ? outside, glass, metal, plastic? what?
3. what is the rating for a relay that is used for turning the pump on/off.?
Whats the rating on the pump?

sorry for the fuzziness..
1. operating voltage range...
2. tank about 1o feet in depth
3. its a 1.5 hp pump, that's all i know.. :(

1. in Centimeters off the ground?
2. Probe for what? temperature, pressure, height, vibration, salinity, resisivity, reflectivity, ph, ORP, dissolved solids, water presence

3. Duty cycle will play a part, but generally the safest method is to use a motor starter sized for the pump. This would contain what's necesssary to protect the pump EXCEPT for running dry. Electronic motor starters have the ability to set the load current.

We have no idea if this is sewage system or storage for greywater for say watering the lawn. We have no idea if the pump is submersable or not. Is the pump used to fill or empty the tank?

What is this tank thingy used for? Is freezing a problem? We still don;t have a concise statement of the problem.

Yes The OP seems reluctant to give details.
magnatro; you need to discribe in detail what you are trying to do if we are to help you.

the water tank is for the lawn. The water is pure water from the bore well . There is already motor starter for the motor (which is submersible) so i am thinking of a way to hot wire that to my controller (i have only access to lesser ampere relays). the water tank is made of cement and its not sealed. so i have access to it.. i am living in tropics so freezing is not a problem. i need only a link or a pdf to built a professional looking probe (conductive probe when the water touches it, the circuit completes). is this enough?

Hi magnatro,

I guess the pump should only be switched on at low water level and kept running until the tank is full.

So you will need two probes with the lower at a tank position which allows the tank to be filled - and simultaneously use water without the water level decreasing any further.

The upper probe will be used to prevent the water spilling from the top of the tank by turning the pump off.

Using stainless steel probes (strips or bars) you might connect a steady DC voltage to sense water level.

If you want to eliminate electrolytic effects you should use AC which can be generated by a timer circuit (NE555) in astable mode with ±5V connected for supply. Coupling the AC return signal via a capacitor of 220 to 330nF into an amplifier and rectifying the signal for further processing the probes should have a life time of approximately ten years.

For a motor relay you might use any 8A (better 16A) relay. Use a snubber circuit or a VDR across the relay contacts to avoid welding them together.

Boncuk

Is the pump to fill the tank or empty the tank?
What is the contactor on the pump?
This will all be outside?
if you are using a micro than all you need to do is messher the resistance across two probes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back