Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Water Activated Monostable Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom08

hi all
For my GCSE Electronics project i am planning on making a duck that, when placed on water, flashes a series of lights and quacks for a set period of time. My plan is to use monostable>astable>decade counter. Ive seen a few monostable 555 touch circuits but i dont know how to get it to be activated by water. what do you suggest? thanks

Use a CMOS gate with a high resistance to ground (say 10MΩ). Then connect the gate to one electrode that contacts the water. Connect another electrode that contacts the water to the plus supply. When the contacts are in the water they should conduct enough current to raise the voltage on the gate to a logical one and turn the gate on.

Good project :)

..or you may use this kind of activation connected to a delay timer + led flasher + how you're making the quack sound?

Attachments

• switch.PNG
    switch.PNG
    73.3 KB · Views: 417
The quacking sound will be produced via a voice module. thanks for the ideas ill check both out.

Well, this monostable section can be followed by the water activated switch described above(but with minor modifications regarding the power supply condition), T1 will be swiched ON for a particular time period as set by the pot, so by attaching the light flasher circuit with quacker you get the electronic duck in operation.

PS: You may try alternative methods:p

Attachments

• 555.PNG
    555.PNG
    19.6 KB · Views: 305
how about i just do a normal 555 monostable timing circuit with a liquid sensor where the switch is. here's a liquid sensor link : **broken link removed**

Just bench tested this. Water sensor and monostable in one. :) No need for a special sensor...just two wires.

Ken

Attachments

• 555 MonostableWater Activated.gif
    555 MonostableWater Activated.gif
    13.3 KB · Views: 856
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back