Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wall Wart

Status
Not open for further replies.
hero,
Its obviously a waste of time trying to explain all the 'what happens ifs'.

I dont wish to sound offensive, but you have made your mind up that you are right and I see there is little point in me trying to explain your misconceptions about circuitry grounding.

EDIT
:
Looking at your posted circuit, I dont see any reason why the scopes +V probe could not be used to measure any part of that circuit.

Last edited:
Looking at your posted circuit, I dont see any reason why the scopes +V probe could not be used to measure any part of that circuit.
It looks like we had our wires crossed.

That's not what I was saying he can't do. There is obviously no reason why he can't measure any parts of the other circuits with the 'scope. I have never suggested that there was.

What I have being trying to say all along, is that he should be careful about where he places the current meter's probes, not the 'scope's input which will be fine as long as he doesn't connect the 0V to anything but 0V.

Maybe I didn't make this clear enough?

Last edited:
It looks like we had our wires crossed.

That's not what I was saying he can't do. There is obviously no reason why he can't measure any parts of the other circuits with the 'scope. I have never suggested that there was.

What I have being trying to say all along, is that he should be careful about where he places the current meter's probes, not the 'scope's input which will be fine as long as he doesn't connect the 0V to anything but 0V.

Maybe I didn't make this clear enough?

hero,
I agree that clears it up.:)
The way your posts were reading, you were suggesting he could not not use the probe.

I hope the OP is still with us.!

Well,... did not really expect all of that. So I am going to use the single wall wart for power but not use the different meters at the same time. That way there is no risk of messing anything up.. would that be OK?

You're fine using different meters at the same time as long as they're used on different circuits with separate power supplies, i.e. each circuit has its own wall ward or battery powering it and they're not connected to one another.

You also shouldn't use the current meter to measure a circuit connected to the same wall wart used to power the meter but the 'scope is fine as long as you don't connect the ground to anything other than 0V.

EDIT:

If you don't understand what I'm saying, then play it safe and only use one meter at a time.

Last edited:
Well,... did not really expect all of that. So I am going to use the single wall wart for power but not use the different meters at the same time. That way there is no risk of messing anything up.. would that be OK?

hi Hillbilly.
This image is shows my email and the suppliers response, they agree its OK to use the scope and the V/A module.
AAesp06..gif

I suppose if the supplier says it's fine then go for it, then if it goes wrong you can at least blame them. :D Maybe it's a good idea to ask for yourself, then you have first hand information from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back