Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Device powers up as soon as it's plugged into the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is also interesting is what different folks think is "normal" behaviour for the class of device I'm using.
you mentioned earlier you use it to inspect PCBs, and it does like it was made as an inspection tool. if so it's possible that during their product research, they did a survey of possible industrial end-users, and one of the features asked for was that it power back on after loss of power... that way the person doesn't have to wait for it to go through self-test, etc... they come back to their workstation after power is restored and start work immediately where they left off.

Nigel Goodwin
So you misunderstand my post #15 and tell me it is like every consumer product. Then, when you're corrected, you want me to tell you which MODERN CONSUMER PRODUCT has a toggle switch and call it a stupid post.

I'm sorry to say, I never said it was modern, I never said it was a consumer product. It was a one-off novelty device that someone wanted, as I said above, to start when they turned the outlet on - which wouldn't happen when the switch was simply left on.

Put your claws back in, Nigel, read the posts for what they are, stop pretending/assuming you know more than anyone expects you to know.

you mentioned earlier you use it to inspect PCBs, and it does like it was made as an inspection tool. if so it's possible that during their product research, they did a survey of possible industrial end-users, and one of the features asked for was that it power back on after loss of power... that way the person doesn't have to wait for it to go through self-test, etc... they come back to their workstation after power is restored and start work immediately where they left off.
In my experience, each of our lab table has its sockets on a cetral switch, you come and turn on the sockets, hard mounted power supplies and led lighting.
Digital microscope is mounted on a dedicated soldering table, where I would not be upset if the mircroscope turned on as soon as I power on the whole table, as well as the soldering irons etc.

In my experience, each of our lab table has its sockets on a cetral switch, you come and turn on the sockets, hard mounted power supplies and led lighting.
Digital microscope is mounted on a dedicated soldering table, where I would not be upset if the mircroscope turned on as soon as I power on the whole table, as well as the soldering irons etc.

I can live with too. I'll just plug it into one of the sockets on the wall that's live all the time (where I keep my routers and web cam powered 24/7). I did have it plugged in to the long row of mains sockets on my bench which are all off with a master when I leave the house. This meant the scope turned on every time I walked in the room and threw the master switch.
Thanks for the input.

Hi Unclejed613
That's a good point. I wouldn't know not having had any experience in an industrial electronics setting. I'm not sure though if professional, industrial end users would be interested in cheap kit like this. More robust and high-end gear would be required I'd have thought. I could be wrong. As for self-test at power on or whatever, there's a "Welcome" screen which takes 2 to 3 seconds from power up. I bought this as an entry-level device just to help me get through my first attempt at soldering a .5mm pitch SMT IC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back