Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage regulator advice needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KAKAH

12v-lead-acid-battery-charger-by-lm317k.gif

So ive built this charger and i understand in general terms how voltage regulators work and i feed it with what my multimeter shows me as 18v from a 2amp transformer, BUT it gives me 2.2v output and 5.4 with a battery attached.(also the led status doesnt change) Could someone please help me with witch values to regulate and change for it to work with an 9ah battery and something arround 1-1.5amp flow would be great. Also i dont fully understand how the led indicator mechanism works, what changes when the battery is full to trigger the backwards current flow trough the leds. id really appreciate some help, im on low budget and i really want to keep this simple circuit. heres the description that came with it:

"Today a close friend visits tell want Dry cell lead acid battery charger circuit 12V 7.5hA sizes. In model to are simple and economize with. I then advise this circuit try build see. By use the integrated circuit voltage regulator the number is highly popular be , LM317K. This circuit has the principle is simple be heal level voltage be stable 13.5 Volt. Because battery must use voltage tall more then charger get follow want. Which battery of a friend must use current 1A take time charging about 8 hour then will have the electric energy with full speed ahead."
https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/22752/STMICROELECTRONICS/LM317K.html

The circuit has nothing but the LM317 to limit the charging current. When the LM317 is overloaded then it reduces the output voltage. When the LM317 gets too hot then it reduces the output voltage and reduces the output current.

The green LED lights whenever the output is more than 2.5V even when it is powered from the battery with the charger turned off.
The red LED lights when the charger is turned off and the battery is connected backwards.

Question: With no battery do you get 2.2 volts out? Is that what you said? If the output is not right look at R1, R4, R5. There is something wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back