Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

VHDL

Status
Not open for further replies.
This program takes two 4 bit binary inputs, multiplies them and gives the output in BCD. Since the blanks don't show, i use . to represent blanks for easier reading

-------------------------
library ieee;
use ieee.std_logic_1164.all;
use ieee.std_logic_unsigned.all;

entity BCDMUL2 is
port( EN : in std_logic;
A, B : in std_logic_vector(3 downto 0);
X : out std_logic_vector(7 downto 0));
end BCDMUL2;

architecture BEHAVIOR of BCDMUL2 is
...signal BIN : std_logic_vector(7 downto 0);
...signal BCD1, BCD0: std_logic_vector(3 downto 0);

begin
...process(EN, A, B)
begin
...BCD1 <= "0000";
...if (EN = '1') then
......BIN <= ("0000" & A) * B;
......for i in 0 to 7 loop
.........if (BIN > "00001001") then
............BIN <= BIN - "00001010";
............BCD1<= BCD1 + "0001";
.........end if;
......end loop;
......BCD0 <= BIN(3 downto 0);
...else
......BCD1 <= "0000";
......BCD0 <= "0000";
...end if;
...X <= BCD1 & BCD0;
...end process;
end BEHAVIOR;
------------------------

I could compile them using Max Plus 2 but when i try to do a waveform simulation, it keeps having input oscillation errors when en = 1. The problem was most probably caused by these statements inside the for loop.

if (BIN > "00001001") then
...BIN <= BIN - "00001010"; (can make assignments this way?)
...BCD1<= BCD1 + "0001";
end if;

I am not sure any VHDL experts out there can figure out the problem. Just giving it a shot. Thanks anyway.

Are you trying to write compact code or are you just messing arround with VHDL?
"For loops" are horribly inefficient when it comes to device fitting. I would use a case statement
to do the conversion. As far as your code goes I simulated it ns got the same results you did.
It has some thing to do with the way the the addar is implemented in the VHDL libraries.
I have gotten similar errors on several other projects. It is usually due to a signal not having
a default value. This one has me stumped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back